Base maps will not load and program freezes

11-04-2017 05:29 PM
ChristyWyckoff
New Contributor

Recently my base maps have stopped loading and when I try to use them the program freezes, this happens in 10.4, 10.5 and now 10.6. The program seems to be working fine when base maps are not in use, but as soon as I use a stock base map the globe will spin for a while then finishes and the workspace is empty and the program is frozen. It does not seem to matter what internet connectivity I have (fast or slow) or if any other programs are running. I recently updated the program to the 10.6 pre-release in hopes that it would solve this issue and now it tries to load the base map and I have green and purple stripes across my workspace, it has been 30 minutes and the globe continues to spin at the bottom. I do not know what to do to fix this. Uninstall/reinstall has not worked; different online base maps don't make a difference; new map project, old map project, nothing seems to change the fact that the streaming base maps crash my program. 

I am running the program on an HP laptop which successfully ran 10.5 until recently, I have lots of open memory. I don't know if an operating system software upgrade could be the problem?

12 Replies
Vivian_Monge
New Contributor

I had this problem and this worked for me.

Remove DefaultDomain_Path_folder from the c:\drive.

Maybe it's helpful for anyone who enters this post with this problem

ManuKaur
Esri Contributor
A potential work around for slow basemaps is creating an ArcGIS Server connection in ArcCatalog
  1. In ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro Open the ArcCatalog Pane 
  2. Open GIS Servers
  3. Click Add ArcGIS Server
  4. Select Use GIS Services and click Next
  5. Copy and Paste this URL for Server URL
    1.  http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/services
  6. Finish
  7. In ArcCatalog, open the new Server connection you made and drag a basemap into content pane in ArcMap.
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Manu, already mentioned above by Curtis Bradley‌ - but thanks definitely for the detailed instructions - very helpful!

0 Kudos