Base map disappears after rotating data frame

Jump to solution
07-28-2017 04:13 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this type of question, but I've been getting a weird problem in ArcMap 10.5 that I can't find a lot of information about. When I rotate my data frame, after various amounts of panning around, the data frame resets to the default rotation and the basemap completely disappears. It's still in the table of contents and the checkbox can still be checked but the only fix I've found is to remove the basemap and just move it back in from the catalog. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I tried to create a completely new .mxd but the same problem happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not sure that the basemap is actually a "basemap". I think it's just a raster that the OP is using as the background/base layer in the map. 

Ken, there used to be an issue when a raster is being both reprojected and rotated via a map rotation. Is the raster being projected on-the-fly? If so, can you try either not reprojecting and see if the same problem occurs or using the Project Raster tool to create a copy of the raster in the map's coordinate system.

Melita

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Ken,

Likely the GeoNet Help is not the best place for this thread. Maybe https://community.esri.com/community/gis/managing-data?sr=search&searchId=59a750e6-4297-4189-815e-38...‌ or https://community.esri.com/groups/cartography-and-maps?sr=search&searchId=19de473d-9fda-428f-b300-d0...‌?

In any case, can you provide screenshots of what you're seeing and mention what basemaps are disappearing? Is is all basemaps or just a particular one?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the recommendation, I wasn't sure where I should post a problem like this. I'll try asking about the issue over there if the problem continues to persist.

If you were curious about the problem, the ESRI basemaps don't give me this trouble. It's the raster data that I import. Originally, the problem started off with the raster data that was meant to act as my basemap. Over time the problem carried over to other raster sets that I was georeferencing. All of the rasters were TIF files that I either downloaded from USGS or imported from PDF files.

The problem begins while I'm panning or rotating and the map begins to lag. The map temporarily goes blank and it resets the entire data frame's rotation to 0 degrees. Everything comes back except for the raster that was acting as my basemap. Although like I was saying earlier this happens sometimes with other raster data which is why I'm not sure what is causing the problem anymore.

I'm going to take Dan Patterson's advice and double check all of the layers to see if they have defined projections. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

raster or vector?  Open a new dataframe, add a basemap, set a projection for the dataframe and see if it can be rotated.  Add a layer, and ensure that it has a defined projection and try again.  It could be one of the layers

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll give this a try Dan, thanks for the advice. I agree that this could be one of the problems since I'm working with layers from different sources that either have been projected already or are projected onto different planes.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not sure that the basemap is actually a "basemap". I think it's just a raster that the OP is using as the background/base layer in the map. 

Ken, there used to be an issue when a raster is being both reprojected and rotated via a map rotation. Is the raster being projected on-the-fly? If so, can you try either not reprojecting and see if the same problem occurs or using the Project Raster tool to create a copy of the raster in the map's coordinate system.

Melita

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is the case, where I'm using a raster as a base. I haven't used the Project Raster tool before, let me give that a try.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't seem to be getting the problem anymore, if I do I'll use the other places that Adrian Welsh suggested I go to. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos