Bad Login while connecting SDE from ArcCatalog

01-25-2012 03:58 AM
SebastianKrings
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I have some mysterieous problems.
I want to try a little bit with Users and Permissions on ArcSDE for SQL Server (all on one server).

I have an account on the server, which is also sysadmin on sqlserver.
I make use of a SDE Service.
There are two databases, one was intalled with SDE and the other one with DBO.

I try to connect the sde from another machine with ArcCatalog using add spatial Database Connection.
My Account on this other machine does not match the one on the server but I use a command, to start ArcCatalog with different credentials.

available parameters are:
- the username of the Windows Server (which also is added to sysadmin to sqlserver isntance)
- the name of the Windows Server
- the users password

Connection to the SDE User Database.
1)
I start ArcCatalog with "username" and "password" and want to add a spatial connection.

1a)
I use database authentication and type in either "servername\username" and "password" or "username" and password.
--> The testConnection says badLogin.

1b)
I Use windows authentication.
--> The testConnection says succeed.

2)
I start ArcCatalog with "servername\username" and "password" and want to add a spatial connection.

2a)
I use database authentication and type in "username" and "password".

2b)
I use database authentication and type in "servername\username" and "password".
--> The testConnection says badLogin.

2c)
I Use windows authentication.

When trying to connect to the DBO user Database, every combination will fail in bad login error message.

So I do not know why there are so much bad logins (on either SDE and DBO) and why the db-authentication only works when using "servername\username" and "password" to start arcCatalog, because its db authentication, should it then doesnt matter which windows login i use on my client????
How can I connect to the DBO Geodatabase?

Thanksfor help and discussion.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SebastianKrings
Occasional Contributor
Someone else told me that it could be that sql authorization is not made to authorize windows accounts which still have logins in a database instance.
If that were true it had to fail to connect with windows credentials by sql authoization. Because it does not I wonder if theres a "feature" (not calling it a bug^^) within SDE (-Service) which simple transferres the credentials to windowslogin after sql authorization failed. But then its not normals that SDE istn doing it with other login-combinations, too.