Automatically save MXDs as version 10.0

11-07-2014 11:36 AM
JamesMoore2
New Contributor II

Hello,

We have many users in our office. For various reasons some of us must remain at version 10.0 while others are already at 10.1 or 10.2.

It's extremely frustrating for those with newer versions to have to manually save MXDs down to the previous versions and just as frustrating for the 10.0 users to have to request it.

Has anybody come up with a way to automatically save down to 10.0 when the MXD is saved or closed?

Considering how often they change versions, ESRI should seriously consider making this an OPTIONS setting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AmandaBishop
Occasional Contributor

Hello James,

It is in the "Save As" options to save a any version you want.

Regards,

Amanda

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Amanda I think they are aware of that option, but their dilemma is that they want maps to autosave to version 10.0, when doing a regular save, or when prompted if they want to save when closing an mxd.  Unfortunately Arcmap defaults to the version you are using when saving an mxd, even if the map is an older version to start with.

James, according to an older set of posts Change the setting of the GDB/MXD to default to ArcGIS 9.3 versions , it wasn't possible to change the default mxd version.  I would probably recommend making an add-in button that allows you to save your current mxd you have open into a 10.0.  Other suggestion would be make a python code or script tool that would allow users to convert a map document, instead of those requesting a mxd in 10.0 version, they could use the tool or script to convert it themselves.

JamesMoore2
New Contributor II

Thanks Ian, I saw those older posts. I was hoping somebody found an easier solution. How do you go about suggesting enhancements for future versions?

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

You can add suggestions here.

Esri Arcgis Ideas | Ideas Submission Portal

JamesMoore2
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Lots of things get suggested, but the implementation of them is another matter entirely.  Best thing you can do is add your vote to an idea and hope ESRI decides to implement it.

0 Kudos
JamesMoore2
New Contributor II

Save As... only gives you the *.MXD option. to save down to a previous version you have to Save A Copy... and select which version to save to.

I'd like to be able to pick a default version, say 10.0, and not have to do the Save A Copy... routine. Then, when I save my MXD, it should automatically save as a 10.0 so I don't have to think about it every time I open an MXD...

AmandaBishop
Occasional Contributor

OK - sorry... I guess I misunderstood.

I hope you find your answer.

Amanda

0 Kudos