Automate attribution update?

03-09-2016 03:42 AM
RobRees
New Contributor II

Hi guys,

I have a project I am working on which involves me snapping one set of nodes to another set, one by one.

Once this is done I need to update 2 blank fields in one node. One involves copying the item number from one node to the other. And the other update involves inserting a number into a blank field to indicate the node has been paired.

I wondered if there is a way to automate this? i presume this would involve some Python scripting which I am fairly new to, so any simplified advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

0 Kudos
25 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

It looks like you can get a download of the 10.0 version here:  http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e35580f27bce4782b95ea8296ac60927

Let me know if that link has what you need.

RobRees
New Contributor II

Hello Richard,

Thanks for the link. That does work and I have installed it with my version of arcgis 10.0.

For some reason though attribute assistant posts an error message saying 'no editable layers from selected features' when trying to run the attribution update on selected nodes.

Not sure why this is as it worked fine with the current version of attribute assistant and arcgis 10.4.

Maybe INTERSECTING_FEATURE is not supported on the earlier version of attribute assistant.

I will try and investigate more today.

Thanks Richard.

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I wonder if somehow the geodatabases have been upgraded to 10.1 version and that is affecting Attribute Assistant, although I would have thought that would cause them to fail to draw in a 10.0 map.  To test if Attribute Assistant is the problem I would create a new 10.0 geodatabase and two FCs with the same schema and names and run the rule on them to see if the error still occurs.

It looks like Attribute Assistant was very new with 10.0, since it is not mentioned in the help and a blog was written by the Esri developers asking for user feedback on how it was being used.  The link in that blog to the Attribute Assistant site now says only versions 10.1 and up are supported.

0 Kudos
RobRees
New Contributor II

Hi Richard,

Thought I'd let you know that I managed to get th attribute assistant to work in arcgis10.0.

I found if you omit the third option from value option and just use table and field it worked.

Also if you try to run it manually on selected features it didn't seem to work but worked with 'on change'.

Thanks for amending the expression. I used a similar expression and worked perfectly.

Thanks again for the clearly explained info, it has helped a great

RobRees
New Contributor II

Hi Richard,

Hope you are well.

Just wanted to ask you another question as you were so helpful before. I know this is not the right place to ask (tried to pm you but this is restricted unless we're connected).

In the office I keep hearing about data being event loaded into arcgis. I presume this is simply plotting geospatial data in arcmap? Similar to loading an excel table and plotting xy data?

Is there an event loading tool?

I wanted to look into it as it seems a lot of data that is event loaded is failing to display within arcmap and they are not sure why...

So I wondered if you could explain to me about event loading and how I would go about event loading data myself?

Thanks,

Ray

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

The term "event loading" is not really one that I have heard used, but I am familiar with x/y events, geocoding, and linear referenced events.  I have seen demos where Excel tables are added to ArcGIS and it may have detected that it contained x/y fields or address fields and automated the creation of an XY Event Layer or a Geocoded event layer with little or no user input.  I don't really recall how that happened, since I don't use spreadsheets with ArcGIS very much.

Every time I have added a file geodatabase table to a map I have had to either right click it and choose the Display XY Data option in the menu or run it through the Make XY Event Layer geoprocessing tool (in the Data Management Tools toolbox, Layers and Table Views toolset).  The same is true for events based on Linear Referenced Routes and measures, which have a Display Route Events option and a Make Route Event Layer geoprocessing tool (in the Linear Referencing Tools toolbox).  I have also always had to use the tools in the Geocoding Tools toolbox to set up and create geocoded address points.  So if you are having problems with the behavior I mentioned in the first paragraph, I can't help, but if you are having problems with using the tools I have mentioned in this paragraph, I can help.

0 Kudos