Attribute Transfer tool - make it automatic ?

09-11-2013 06:26 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I am using the Attribute Transfer tool in 10.1 ArcEditor. I am drawing lines that snap between two points. I want the attributes from the point at the end of the line to be transferred to my line. This tool is great because then I just use it to click on the point at the end and then click on my line.

But I'm wondering if it could be faster (because this is mind numbingly boring 🙂 ). Has anyone written any sort of code for their own button that could automatically transfer the attributes from the point when I double click to finish my line? This could eliminate going back through to click on my point and then on my line with the attribute transfer tool.

Just curious.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Andrea,

You could use the attribute assistant add-in.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrea,

You could use the attribute assistant add-in.

Best,
Melanie S.

Melanie,

Interesting tool. So I think I would use the "Nearest feature attributes" as the Attribute Assistant method. But the only way I see to tell it which point to pick for the attributes is a distance value. So, put the attributes from a point 0 ft away onto this line. But I have 2 points snapped to the line - one at the beginning of the line and one at the end. I only want the attributes from the point at the end of the line. Do you see a way to get this specific?

Thank you,
0 Kudos
JeffMiller
New Contributor III
I know I'm a little late to the party on this thread, but I think the To_Junction_Field rule may work for you, so long as your data participates in a geometric network.  This way, only the data from the downstream intersecting point would be transferred to the line.  Depending on how much information you're looking to join, you may have to set up the rule several times, one for each field you wish to populate.  Without the geometric network, however, this function will not work.  Hope this helps!
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know I'm a little late to the party on this thread, but I think the To_Junction_Field rule may work for you, so long as your data participates in a geometric network.  This way, only the data from the downstream intersecting point would be transferred to the line.  Depending on how much information you're looking to join, you may have to set up the rule several times, one for each field you wish to populate.  Without the geometric network, however, this function will not work.  Hope this helps!

Thank you Jeff. I don't have a geometric network for this data, at least not yet. But I will remember this for the future.

Thanks,