Assigning attributes to CAD files

06-22-2012 07:21 AM
BrettWilbur
New Contributor
I have a 2D site plan in AutoCad2010.  It has contours, property lines and a building.  They are polylines and polygons.  I want to assign elevation data to the contour lines so I can import into ArcMap.  How do I do this? Do I import first or do I create an excel file first and import the table?  I'm stuck.  The AutoCad file dosn't recognize the contours so I must assign attributes to them.  Is it done in CAD or in ArcMap?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JilleenBrokensha
New Contributor
Hi Brett
Did you come up with a solution?
You can't edit an AutoCAD file in ArcMap as far as I am aware, so you'll have to edit the shapefile or feature class once you've exported it out of the AutoCAD.
If you have access to Microstation, or the person who created the AutoCAD file, it is far easier for them to attribute the AutCAD before sending to you.  Will save you a lot of time.
If not, you'll have to edit in ArcMap.
Hope this helps.
Jill
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
As I understand your question:
- You have contour lines in and AutoCAD DWG file.  I assume these are polylines.
- You want ArcMap to have the elevation of those contours as an attribute.

Is that right?

If the AutoCAD contours have a Z value, ArcMap will see that value as a field "Elevation" without you doing anything.

If, however, the AutoCAD contours do not have a Z value, you'll need to assign them as an attribute.
The easiest way to do that in CAD is with the free ArcGIS for AutoCAD application.
If you want to assign them from ArcMap, then you can convert the CAD drawing to a geodatabase and then add the fields .

--Karen

I have a 2D site plan in AutoCad2010.  It has contours, property lines and a building.  They are polylines and polygons.  I want to assign elevation data to the contour lines so I can import into ArcMap.  How do I do this? Do I import first or do I create an excel file first and import the table?  I'm stuck.  The AutoCad file dosn't recognize the contours so I must assign attributes to them.  Is it done in CAD or in ArcMap?

Thanks
0 Kudos