assign elevation to a point

04-06-2016 10:59 AM
ChelseySerrano1
New Contributor

I have a set of data points and would like to add a new column to its attricutes table that has the elevation of where those points are located. Is this possible through a GIS tool? Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chelsey,

Sure you can use the Add Z Information tool from the 3D Analyst Tools > 3D Features toolbox if you have the 3D analyst extention

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This begs the question... it is PointZ data file?  If the layer has Z values you can use the Add Geometry Attributes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If it has no Z values, you can manually add a field and add the data yourself.  If the data came from another source, like a gps, then there are alternate solutions, should the conversion software not bring elevation over, if the device recorded it.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

3d analyst tools

If it is a Point feature ie no Z but you have an attribute with the elevation / height, use Feature to 3d by attribute.

If it also has no Z but you have a digital elevation raster somewhere use Interpolate Shape.

0 Kudos
ChelseySerrano1
New Contributor

Thank you, I am going to try these suggestions. The points don't have specific elevations assigned, but I am hoping to add it based on where they are on the map.

0 Kudos