ArcSDE tuning for Oracle 10g

02-02-2012 07:17 PM
NadeemSufyan
New Contributor
Well, I am going to put a basic but straight question.

What parameters need to be tuned in ArcSDE and Oracle for optimal retrieval of spatial data ??

I am using direct connect mode of SDE with Oracle DB.....

Thanks

Nadeem
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Nadeem,

The link here provides suggestions on Oracle's configuration for ArcSDE 10.  ArcSDE 9.3 can be found here.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
There are several dozen possible tuning parameters (both Oracle- and ArcSDE-specific), and
scores of configuration options for thousands of possible use cases.  I haven't ever changed
a tuning parameter that had a even a fraction of the positive impact of increasing the default
1/10th millimeter precision of ArcGIS-generated coordinate references to something in the
5 centimeter range.  Next most significant was optimizing the features in spatial index order.

All database tuning options (for all databases) pale in comparison to making sure the system
has robust I/O performance with multiple independent disks tuned to the database transfer
blocksize, organizing the data to utilize parallelism in disk access, keeping the redo logs and
temp tablespace apart from each other and data tables, and organizing the data in the tables
for optimal query performance.

- V
0 Kudos
Pieter_Geertvan_den_Beukel
Esri Contributor
the system has robust I/O performance with multiple independent disks tuned to the database transfer
blocksize, organizing the data to utilize parallelism in disk access, keeping the redo logs and
temp tablespace apart from each other and data tables, and organizing the data in the tables
for optimal query performance.
- V

Vince, I would love to see an extensive whitepaper about these issues!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
So would I, but I don't see the 300-400 hours it would take to write one opening up in my schedule
anytime soon.

- V
0 Kudos