ArcSDE Post Installation Error

09-22-2011 06:09 AM
DeepLakhanpal
New Contributor
Hi All,
A very strange issue i am experiencing with ArcSDE Post installation. My system configuration is defined below.

Server       - Windows 2008 Server R2 Standard
Processor    - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz 2.93 GHz
Installed memory (RAM) - 12,0 GB
System Type   - 64 Bit OS

Problem :-
I am able to perform Pre-Installation of ArcSDE successfully on this server, but when I or Setup try to run the Post-Installation it throws error. I have tried the installation & Post-installation from multiple copied of the setup to make sure that setup file are OK or not corrupt. Please find below the error details. I have also attached the screen shot for further reference. I tried to Google to sneak into this issue but unfortunately their are no threads providing any information on this issue.

---------------------------
ARCSDE~1.EXE - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.
OK  
0 Kudos
8 Replies
BenLin
by
New Contributor III
Hi,

From the screen shot, I am guessing that you may use the wrong installation files for your ArcSDE/Oracle installation.

Please keep in mind, that you need the same bit-level software for your ArcSDE and your Oracle. For example:

If your ArcSDE, Oracle DB were in the same server, then you will need:
Oracle DB 64-bit and ArcSDE 64-bit, or
Oracle DB 32-bit and ArcSDE 32-bit, or
Oracle DB 64-bit, Oracle Client 32-bit and ArcSDE 32-bit

If your ArcSDE, Oracle DB were in the different servers, then you will need:
Oracle Client 64-bit and ArcSDE 64-bit, or
Oracle Client 32-bit and ArcSDE 32-bit

Thanks,
Ben L.
0 Kudos
HaniuHokkaido
New Contributor III
I have similar problem. My system:
- Win 7 Proffesional 64bit
- Oracle 10G 32bit
- ArcSDE 10 32bit

I can't do postinstallation... the error message is: "error connecting to oracle: O".
I found a file called "Error connecting to Oracle" in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcSDE\ora10gexe\tools\ with nothing in it. And when i open sqlnet.log in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcSDE\ora10gexe\tools\ i found:

Fatal NI connect error 6413, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oraclestarter)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=starter)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcSDE\ora10gexe\tools\ArcSdeSetupOracle10g.exe)(HOST=PCNAME)(USER=hani_umeko))))

VERSION INFORMATION:
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
  Time: 24-JUL-2012 11:12:45
  Tracing not turned on.

I can connect to Oracle via Toad without problem. BTW, i set up a loop back adapter installation before oracle installation.

Please help me finding the cause of the problem...

thanks
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Oracle 10.2.0.1 isn't supported with any Esri product.  You need to patch it
to at least 10.2.0.3, but I recommed using Oracle 11g (R1 or R2), which is
under active support from Oracle (10gR2 is unsupported).

- V
0 Kudos
HaniuHokkaido
New Contributor III
Thanks Vince. I read your reply, somewhere in the other forum, that the minimum Oracle version for ArcSDE 10 is 10.2.0.3
0 Kudos
HaniuHokkaido
New Contributor III
Hi Vince,

I just remembered... In my old laptop, i got it working ! As I remember, it was a normal setup... The environment was:
- Windows 7 Proffesional 32 bit
- ArcSDE 10 32 bit
- Oracle 10g R2 (10.2.0.1)

How come this happens ? Is it because of the 32 bit ?

My new laptop is Win 7 Proff 64 bit with ArcSDE 10 32 bit and Oracle 10.2.0.1

thanks
0 Kudos
HaniuHokkaido
New Contributor III
i make it works !

Finally ArcSDE 10 can work with Oracle 10.2.0.1. (yes right..., its 10.2.0.1 !)

My environment:
- Win 7 Proff 64 bit
- ArcSDE 10 32bit
- Oracle 10.2.0.1 32bit

What do I do are two things (i dont know which one makes it works):
1. Grant SDE admin option "administer database trigger" ( I dont think this is neccessary)
2. I install arcsde in another folder (not the default C:\Program Files (x86)\...blabla). I name the folder with one word and without space(eg: c:\myfolder)

Try it.

thanks
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I never, *ever* install software with spaces or parenthesis in the path, but I know
folks who do, and they've gotten ArcSDE 10 to work, so don't think this was the
problem, either.

Oracle 10.2.0.1 is not supported because it doesn't work right.  It fails strangely all
the time.  It can't pass all the certification tests (only 10.2.0.3+ can).  10.2.0.1 is
unreliable and therefore should not be used.

Without active security patch support, Oracle 10gR2 is one CERT announcement
away from being a vector for destroying the contents of your computer (and
whatever network to which it may have access).  Do you remember the ILoveYou
macro virus?  I do.  It erased every piece of imagery at a client site (incuding the
networked backup drive) forcing them to pay to have their area of interest reflown
(using a significant portion of the next year's operating budget). The risk is low, but
the potential cost is very high, making the vulnerabilty high.  I do not recommend
the use of unsupported software.

- V
0 Kudos
HaniuHokkaido
New Contributor III
Oh, i see...

thanks Vince.
0 Kudos