ArcSDE Direct connection

08-29-2011 12:35 PM
Jitendrudulacaraju
New Contributor
We recently migrated from ArcGIS 9.3.1 to version 10.0. But our SDE databases that were created on
SQL Server, 2008 R2, in ArcSDE 9.3.1 environment are still the same. We use the SDE direct connect to connect the databases.
We have some critical web applications that are utilizing the direct connect to these SDE databases.

What is it that we must do to 'upgrade' when we are using ArcGIS 10 client and SDE DB created in 9.3.1 environment?
What are the challenges experienced by anyone?
Will it impact the web applications that utilize this SDE database?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor
Hi Jitendrudu,

To be honest this is an open question:

What must be done to upgrade from ArcSDE 9.3.1 to 10.x when using an ArcGIS 10 client?  Not much really.  Upgrades are completed using the ArcCatalog "Upgrade Geodatabase" tool or via Python. 

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002n000000p0000000
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//0017000000q7000000

That being said there are considerations that need to be made to determine the impact this may have on you web applications et al.

Is ArcGIS Server upgraded to ArcGIS 10 at this point?  Do you still have any users connecting to the ArcSDE geodatabase from pre-10 client's etc.  These questions will need to be addressed before a thorough response can be given.  As always I would recommend implementing any changes within a development environment before making large scale changes to a critical production system.  It may be a good idea to contact technical support so that a solution can be discussed which takes all aspects of your scenario into account.
0 Kudos
Jitendrudulacaraju
New Contributor
-I have conducted an impact assessment study; so made a chart of client vs SDE- to find out the supported platform based on a wiki page of SDE 10.
-We have critical web applications, a mobile application and fewer than a dozen desktop clients hosted on a 9.3.1 AGS which use the 9.3.1 SDE.
-I am establishing a development environment with SDE 10 and AGS 9.3.1 hosting applications. This is proof check the suggestion on the wiki that 9.3.1 client cannot use SDE 10.
-I know the tool to upgrade from previous gdb to current versions, but my question is how does it impact the gdb like what changes when we do this upgrade?
-Yes, contacting the tech support for some answers is a good idea.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
There's no need to prove that AGS 9.3.1 can't connect to ArcSDE 10.0 -- It can't.

Upgrading a 9.3.1 instance eliminates over a dozen normalized GDB_* tables, replacing them
with the new XML-based denormalized dictionary.  While 9.3.1 'C' API clients *can* connect to
10.0 servers, geodatabase-aware applications (like Desktop, AGS, Python,...) can't.

The usual upgrade procedure is to roll out ArcGIS 10.0 clients, which can connect to either
ArcSDE 9.3 or 10.0, and once all your apps are 10.0 ready, upgrade ArcSDE to 10.0.

- V
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Jitendrudu,

Here's some more info that might be helpful too:

ArcGIS Documentation: Direct-connect compatibility between clients and ArcSDE geodatabases in Oracle
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/002n/002n000000q8000000.htm
0 Kudos