ArcSDE 9.1 and SQLServer 2008

09-22-2011 03:53 AM
Udaya_BhaskerCheerala
New Contributor
Dear All,
We have SDE databse which in in SQL Server 2000 and we are using ArcSDE 9.1.
We want to move SDE databade to SQL Server 2008 and still we want to use ArcSDE 9.1.

We have moved it to SQLServer 2008 and it is working successfully if we install ArcSDE-SQLServer-91sp2 and set the database Compatibility level to SQL Server 2000(80).

Is the above is correct way to use SQL Server 2008 and ArcSDE 9.1? or any problems will araise?

Please help me.

Thanks,
Uday
0 Kudos
5 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
SQL-Server 2008 support was not introduced until ArcSDE 9.3.  There is little chance that
this combination will work (see Vince's First Law of Compatibility), and no chance at all for
spatial type support.

- V
0 Kudos
Udaya_BhaskerCheerala
New Contributor
Dear Vince,
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Eventhough SQL Server is 2008, the SDE database Compatibility level is SQL Server 2000(80).  And Iam able to edit the feature classes and save to database.

Could you please let me know what spatial type support this combination does not support.

Thanks,
Uday
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
I meant support for SQL-Server's spatial types -- GEOMETRY and GEOGRAPHY columns.

The combination itself is completely unsupported by Esri (9.1 is in "retired" status).

- V
0 Kudos
Udaya_BhaskerCheerala
New Contributor
Hello Vince,

Thank you very much for the response. If I do not use spatial types -- GEOMETRY and GEOGRAPHY in my database, is this combination is fine or any other problems may araise?

Thanks,
Uday
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
The configuration is unsupported (all configurations involving ArcSDE 9.1 are now unsupported, but no
testing has ever been done with 9.1 and SQL-Server 2008) -- Any number of problems may arise.

- V
0 Kudos