ArcMap 10.3 basemap wraparound

08-01-2017 05:35 AM
AnneSheppard
New Contributor

Hello, I'm fairly new and inexperienced in GIS and am using ArcMap 10.3 with the Oceans basemap to make maps of several areas for an academic publication.  One of the areas is Fiji, which lies across the 180 degree line.  The basemap does not wrap around the globe and Fiji in in two sections either side of the map.  Can anyone tell me if it is possible to join the two ends of the map without (the so far completely unsuccessful) creating two dataframes and sticking them together.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A not-so-common problem associated with limited geographic areas... but there is a discussion here and an option if you want to use projected data

AnneSheppard
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply Dan.  I'm not sure I have the necessary GIS background skill to work out how to use projected data.  From reading the link that you sent, a solution for this map would be to use the 360 degree range as the discontinuity at Greenwich wouldn't affect this area.  But again I have no idea how to do this.  I'm not using the GIS functions of ArcGis only the map drawing functionality of ArcMap.  

0 Kudos