ArcMap 10.1 Crashing when trying to add a DWG

05-28-2014 09:55 AM
ChristopherLong1
New Contributor II
Hello,

This question has probably already been asked but I could not find the answer. I am trying to add a AutoCAD drawing into ArcMap version 10.1 and when I do it just sets there and spins with nothing happening until I force ArcMap to close. We have contacted the Engineers and had them save the AutoCAD DWG to a 2000 version, however that has not solved the problem. As far as I can tell there is nothing different about this DWG from others I have added today.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II
I've had ArcMap crash if there are additional features in the model space (graphs, profiles, tables, etc). If there is anything in your DWG's model space other than the drawing itself, try deleting it in AutoCAD before bringing it in to ArcMap. Extra items in paper space do not seem to have any effect.
0 Kudos
ChristopherLong1
New Contributor II
Hey,

Thanks for the response, I don't know if that is what was causing this particular DWG to crash ArcMap or not, but its defiantly good to keep in mind for next time. What we ended up doing was having the engineer export as a shapefile. Still we would still like to figure out exactly what was happening since this is a new problem for us. 

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos