ArcGIS Diagrammer problem with non-subtype domains

07-03-2012 12:25 PM
BrittJohnson
New Contributor III
Hello all,

I just finished a large update to the schema of our water network dataset using ArcGIS Diagrammer to make the updates, and upon loading the XML schema to the database I noticed an issue that I have not experienced before. For all fields with domains assigned that did not participate in a subtype, the domains and default values did not appear when editing the data. However, any fields that had their default values and domains set at the subtype level imported correctly. When looking at the feature class properties/fields tab in ArcCatalog, the field shows the domains and default values as assigned to the non-subtype fields, yet they are not recognized when editing the data in ArcMap. Also, in the feature class properties/subtypes tab the only domains and default values that are populated are the fields that were set as part of the subtype in Diagrammer.

My questions:

1.  Why does the domains for non-subtype fields get stripped out when importing the XML schema to a database? This led to much clean-up after import of the schema.

2. Is there a work-around for this problem other than moving ALL domain-assigned fields into the subtype, or re-assigning them after import?

3. I have not noticed this issue in the past, is possible that this problem might have appeared with Service Pack 4? Or have I just not noticed it in the past?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
GaryFloyd2
New Contributor
Hi,

Bit of a late reply.

Just had this issue after some investigation seems to be a bug with 10.1

SP1 might fix the problem as this bug is being addressed;

NIM081682 - Modify FeatureSet and RecordSets to use domains from a schema without the need of a subtype.

Domains are created correctly when importing your xml workspace just not assigned to fields.
I've just set the domains manually through properties before loading data.

Cheers,
Gary
0 Kudos
CarolineCochrane
New Contributor III

Hi Britt,

I am currently using 10.2.2 and I seem to be experiencing the same issue importing XML workspace. I have to manually add the domains in for non-subtype fields. I wondered if you ever got a resolution to this, if there is one? I understand this is a fairly old post!

Look forward to hearing from you.

All the very best,

Caroline

0 Kudos
BrittJohnson
New Contributor III

Hey Caroline,

I haven't heard of any resolution to this issue, but I will be making a large update to one of our datasets in the next week or two. I haven't had to make any changes with a wholesale XML import lately, but that will be involved with this one. I'll report back with any behavior that I notice with that import.

Britt

0 Kudos
CarolineCochrane
New Contributor III

Hi Britt,

Thanks for getting in touch. Very much hope your updates go well. Look forward to hearing from you.

Caroline

0 Kudos
BrittJohnson
New Contributor III

Caroline,

We did our schema updates last week, and I am very pleased to say that everything worked as it "should." All default values and domains (even on subtypes) that we had set in the XML using Diagrammer came into the database just fine; I didn't have to go back and re-apply those settings in ArcCatalog after importing the XML file as I had to in the past. Another big help was now if domains already existed in the database and also existed in the XML that is being imported; if the domains are identical in both locations a second domain is not created anymore (like it creating a ManholeType_1 if ManholeType already existed), if values had changed in a domain is now the only time that a Domain_1 would be created.

All in all just the domain and default value assignments staying as they should probably cut half the time out of schema updates for us compared to in the past.

Britt

0 Kudos
CarolineCochrane
New Contributor III

Hi Britt,

Can't tell you how thankful I am for letting me know and that the issue is now no longer requiring a manual fix! Brilliant news. I wondered if you don't mind, can you confirm which version of ArcCatalog and Diagrammer you are using. I seem to believe I tested with 10.2.2 and Diagrammer 10.0.1.

Many thanks,

Caroline

0 Kudos
BrittJohnson
New Contributor III

Hey Caroline,

Yes I'm using Desktop 10.2.2 and what I think is Diagrammer 10.2 also. We downloaded this new version of Diagrammer when we upgraded to 10.2 from here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=51b6066bfd024962999f6903682d8978

Now if I go to About Diagrammer to look at the version notes, it still says 10.1 there so I'm not sure why that is so.

Britt

0 Kudos