ArcGIS 10.5.1 slow perfomance

09-06-2017 07:54 AM
TunrayoAlabi
New Contributor

I updated to ArcGIS 10.5.1 on Windows 7 Professional. I am experiencing slow connections with data on ArcMap. When I click on any item on the table of content to change color etc, the response is extremely slow which was not the case when on 10.4 or 10.5. Does anyone have a clue why it might be so?

16 Replies
AlanTonkin
Occasional Contributor

I started experiencing the same poor performance with my 10.5.1 installation. I don't recall at what point it became that way but today I un-installed 10.5.1 and installed 10.6.1

Unfortunately this hasn't helped in the slightest. I have a very powerful laptop and have done everything that you tried as well and still it takes close to 2 minutes on the "Initializing Application" part.

I am out of ideas. This is annoying as I use ArcMap on a daily basis.

Brian did you ever resolve your performance issues?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Does this home machine get automatic Windows updates?  If so, maybe a windows update caused this issue.  You can compare you the Windows updates installed on your office computer compared to your home computer and see if there is a difference and work from there.

0 Kudos
AlanTonkin
Occasional Contributor

This is my work laptop, don't have a home machine. It is WIndows 10 Pro that is always kept up-to-date with Windows updates.

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

It's poor service on ESRI's part to not get involved with this thread that has been going on for over a year.  

However, I have remained at 10.4.1 and haven't had the problems you are all experiencing.  Perhaps it has to do with a computer component we have in common.  

I was having my problems on a Dell Precision 7720.  Here are the specs (can be found in the properties of "This PC" and a graphics card settings icon in the system tray):

Processor: Intel(R) Xenon(R) CPU E3-1505M v6 @3.00GHz

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

RAM: 16GB

Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics P630 

Actually, as I was typing my processor specs this blog recognized other blogs that had the same processor specs mentioned in it.  It may lead you down a helpful bunny hole.  

As for me, I am staying at 10.4.1 until they develop ArcGIS Pro to the point where most of the tools work.  Right now, the only thing that doesn't work well is mosaics in ArcGIS Pro.  Most of the other tools we use function just as well or better than ArcGIS 10.4.1.  I heard through the grapevine that the plan to abandon the ArcGIS Desktop line anyway.  

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

I was just reading a few other responses I wrote on this thread last year.  I originally installed 10.5.1 on a Dell M6500, my old computer.  Since then I was approved to get a new computer and I was participating on another thread to report that 10.5.1 was just as slow on my "brand new dell computer". 

I was able to get ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1 from our software manager and it seemed to fix my slowing issues.  I honestly don't think there is much of a difference between 10.4.1 to 10.5.x to 10.6.x or whatever they have today.  Here's the "what's new" article What's new in ArcMap—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop, I don't use any of these features...

0 Kudos
BrianWilson
Occasional Contributor II

Since I wrote last year things have changed and have not been using ArcGIS as much at home. I tried ArcMap last night and it turns out somewhere in the last 12 months the slow start problem went away.

What's changed? some random automatic Windows 10 update??? I normally remove software when I stop using it, so possibly Dropbox or Google Drive was causing it? Seriously those should have 0 impact on ArcGIS STARTUP -- only DATA is stored out there not applications software! But the problem went away outside my awareness so it is no longer an issue for me. My sympathy to anyone else still experiencing it.

Comparing work and home set ups would have been immaterial because work = Windows 7 and home = Windows 10.

The frustration with the home set up was that it's a killer machine - I9 10 core CPU, 64 GB ram, 750GB SSD. Everything else rips on it, the only problem I have seen is ArcMap

When I started using ArcGIS Pro at work I had to get a RAM upgrade (from 8 to 16GB), it still kills that little Dell W7 laptop whenever it is running. 

Brian

0 Kudos
RafiaButt
New Contributor

Hi, just wondering whether anyone has managed to fix the problem of ArcMap 10.5.1 being incredibly slow as it's an issue that I've been experiencing for a while now ? I've got the latest version of Windows 10 updated on my HP Notebook laptop. Anything to do which could help would be very appreciated !

0 Kudos