ArcGIS 10.1: Starting ???ArcSDE Service (esri_sde)" stops!

12-14-2012 11:08 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

Starting �??ArcSDE Service (esri_sde)" stops!

I tried to start the �??ArcSDE Service (esri_sde) service but I got the messages below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19951[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]19952[/ATTACH]
What might be the problem?

Thank you in advance

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos
21 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

An instructor provided me the answer! What follows the �??p should be sde123 but not sde

Hi Jamal,

Good to hear you got it up and running. However, since -p is the ArcSDE database admin password, as in:

sdemon -o start {[-i {<service> | <port#>}] [-s <server_name>] | [-H <sde_directory>]}
[-p <ArcSDE_admin_password>]

I understand you entered "sde123" as the SDE user's password in SQL server or during ArcSDE install. That is of course fine for a quick personal test setup like you are probably creating, but anyone reading this may prefer entering a strong password for more serious applications.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

Good to hear you got it up and running. However, since -p is the ArcSDE database admin password, as in:

sdemon -o start {[-i {<service> | <port#>}] [-s <server_name>] | [-H <sde_directory>]}

I understand you entered "sde123" as the SDE user's password in SQL server or during ArcSDE install. That is of course fine for a quick personal test setup like you are probably creating, but anyone reading this may prefer entering a strong password for more serious applications.

Thank you for the elaboration Marco. This is helpful.

I�??m not sure at which step of the installation of the ArcSDE we are required to enter the users name/password. For example, during the installation of the sqlserver, there is a dialogue box at which we determine our user name and password as shown in the screenshot below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20026[/ATTACH]

How about the ArcSDE? Does such dialogue box exist in the ArcSDE while being installed (I can�??t�?? remember)? And then where might I have chosen the user name/password for the ArcSDE to be sde/sde123 respectively?
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the elaboration Marco. This is helpful.

I�??m not sure at which step of the installation of the ArcSDE we are required to enter the users name/password. For example, during the installation of the sqlserver, there is a dialogue box at which we determine our user name and password as shown in the screenshot below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20026[/ATTACH]

Jamal,

This is the SQL Server administration, not the ArcSDE administration as from within ArcGIS. You can probably change the password for an already existing SDE user in here somewhere, but this is not where you initially set it. See below.

How about the ArcSDE? Does such dialogue box exist in the ArcSDE while being installed (I can�??t�?? remember)? And then where might I have chosen the user name/password for the ArcSDE to be sde/sde123 respectively?

You set the SDE user password upon creation of the geodatabase structure in your SQL Server database. It is done in the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool that you ran from ArcToolbox. If I look at the "q.pdf" file with screenshots you created, I see an entry line in that tool for "Geodatabase Administrator Password", this is probably the SDE user's password. The dialog seems to default to a 6 digit password, which corresponds with the "sde123" password the ESRI instructor gave you. I guess "sde123" is just the default password filled in by ESRI / the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool, and you forgot to change it. It would have been better if there was no default password, and you were forced to enter one yourself, that way, you would have been aware of setting it, instead of running into the issue with a wrong / unknown password like you did.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

This is the SQL Server administration, not the ArcSDE administration as from within ArcGIS. You can probably change the password for an already existing SDE user in here somewhere, but this is not where you initially set it. See below.

You set the SDE user password upon creation of the geodatabase structure in your SQL Server database. It is done in the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool that you ran from ArcToolbox. If I look at the "q.pdf" file with screenshots you created, I see an entry line in that tool for "Geodatabase Administrator Password", this is probably the SDE user's password. The dialog seems to default to a 6 digit password, which corresponds with the "sde123" password the ESRI instructor gave you. I guess "sde123" is just the default password filled in by ESRI / the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool, and you forgot to change it. It would have been better if there was no default password, and you were forced to enter one yourself, that way, you would have been aware of setting it, instead of running into the issue with a wrong / unknown password like you did.

Thank you Marco the prompt reply. This is very useful.

I do absolutely agree with you. I couldn�??t be able to know how the ArcGIS could take the password for the sde user by default! And why we are not able to change the user name (sde) in this case?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20049[/ATTACH]

At the �??beginning of life�?�, how the sde login is created? is it ceated even before using the "create enterprise geodatabase" tool?

At the the level of security?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20050[/ATTACH]

At the level of security of a particular database?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20051[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Marco the prompt reply. This is very useful.

I do absolutely agree with you. I couldn�??t be able to know how the ArcGIS could take the password for the sde user by default! And why we are not able to change the user name (sde) in this case?

ArcGIS just by default assumes that the geodatabase administrator is a user called SDE (this is a very old convention of ArcSDE), and automatically creates one if you choose "SDE owned schema" in the "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" tool. If you don't want that, you CAN define a geodatabase administrator yourself by creating a user with any name you desire, but this user must be granted specific rights if it can function as a geodatabase administrator. In that case, you will also need to create the database yourself, and than run the "Enable Enterprise Geodatabase" to create the necessary geodatabase system structure in your database.

See the following Help topics for the difference between "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" and "Enable Enterprise Geodatabase"

Creating a database and geodatabase in SQL Server

Enabling enterprise geodatabase functionality in an existing database

At the �??beginning of life�?�, how the sde login is created? is it ceated even before using the "create enterprise geodatabase" tool?

As this Help page clearly states:

"The Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool creates a database, storage locations, and a database user (EDIT: THIS IS BY DEFAULT THE "SDE" USER, AND IT SEEMS WITH DEFAULT PASSWORD "SDE123") to be used as the geodatabase administrator and owner of the geodatabase depending on the database management system (DBMS) used. It grants the geodatabase administrator privileges required to create a geodatabase, then creates a geodatabase in the database."
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
ArcGIS just by default assumes that the geodatabase administrator is a user called SDE (this is a very old convention of ArcSDE), and automatically creates one if you choose "SDE owned schema" in the "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" tool. If you don't want that, you CAN define a geodatabase administrator yourself by creating a user with any name you desire, but this user must be granted specific rights if it can function as a geodatabase administrator. In that case, you will also need to create the database yourself, and than run the "Enable Enterprise Geodatabase" to create the necessary geodatabase system structure in your database.

See the following Help topics for the difference between "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" and "Enable Enterprise Geodatabase"

Creating a database and geodatabase in SQL Server

Enabling enterprise geodatabase functionality in an existing database

As this Help page clearly states:

"The Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool creates a database, storage locations, and a database user (EDIT: THIS IS BY DEFAULT THE "SDE" USER, AND IT SEEMS WITH DEFAULT PASSWORD "SDE123") to be used as the geodatabase administrator and owner of the geodatabase depending on the database management system (DBMS) used. It grants the geodatabase administrator privileges required to create a geodatabase, then creates a geodatabase in the database."

Thank you Marco for the elaboration. This answer is very precise and informative.

All the best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kpeter

Hi,

I wanted to add a small clarification to this:

There is no default password for the sde user. If you are running the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool against a SQL Server instance and have "Sde Owned Schema" checked, you must type a password in the Geodatabase Administrator Password field. If you do not, the tool returns "Error 000152: Administrator username and password are required."
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi,

I wanted to add a small clarification to this:

There is no default password for the sde user. If you are running the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool against a SQL Server instance and have "Sde Owned Schema" checked, you must type a password in the Geodatabase Administrator Password field. If you do not, the tool returns "Error 000152: Administrator username and password are required."

Many thanks Kimberly for the contribution

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: packeunkyo

Hi Jamal,

I tried using the command: sdemon -o start -i esri_sde -p pass. But i cannot start the service?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
If you want assistance in these Forums, you need to post sufficient information
for someone to be able to help you.  I detailed what was necessary in the
second post in this thread.  If your environment is not exactly the same as
the original poster's environment, then appending to the end of his thread will
only increase confusion.  Please do not multi-post.

- V
0 Kudos