Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcCatalog: "Failed to process XML dara, possibly due to data corruption"

05-08-2014 03:37 PM
EdwardBlair
Regular Contributor
My machine running and Oracle SDE database recently crashed.   On starting it back up I try to open any of the feature classes and get the message:

"Failed to edit the selected objects(s).
Failed to process XML data, possibly due to corruption"

Can this be repaired?  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed
0 Kudos
16 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Is this a test or production database?  If it's a test database, make a complete backup and then let's try deleting the rows in the locks tables if you're comfortable doing that.  If it's a production database, then your safest bet is to use caution and open a support ticket with Esri. 

Assuming this is a test database and you're comfortable with taking a full backup first, run the following in SQLplus after restarting your database once again (ensuring no ArcGIS client connections exist):

TRUNCATE TABLE SDE.STATE_LOCKS;
TRUNCATE TABLE SDE.TABLE_LOCKS;

Then try to view the "bad" feature class(es) again in ArcCatalog. 

** Once again, I only suggest this on a test database after a full backup has been taken. **
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Regular Contributor
My next step would be to re-load this database from back-up, so deleting rows from the LOCKS tables is OK with me.   So it did.

However, when connecting to ArcCatalog I appear to be in the same boat.  Classes in the "corrupt" database still error on opening with the message "Failed to process XML..."

Feature classes in other datasets behave OK.

Ed
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Do you get the same error if you try to export the feature dataset with the corrupt feature classes to a file geodatabase?
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Regular Contributor
Tried, and it errored in the feature class Export process with the message "Cannot create output <feature class>"

Sure looks like the Feature Dataset definition is corrupted in some way and the feature classes can't get a reference back to get their spatial reference.

Ed
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Obvious question... but I need to ask... are you certain that this feature class was behaving correctly before the server crash?  If the answer is yes, then it looks like you should restore from a backup.
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Regular Contributor
Yep.  Quite sure.  Was working with it up to the point of the crash.

I really, really appreciate your help with this.  Am thinking restoring from backup will be the best course as well.

Thanks again,
Ed
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Anytime, Ed.  I am only sorry I couldn't help to resolve the issue.  Enjoy your weekend!
0 Kudos