ArcCatalog 10.1 Connect to Folder - create New Folder - path invalid error

04-09-2013 12:40 PM
BrendaWalsh
New Contributor
We've noticed a "feature" in ArcCatalog 10.1 on Windows 7 where if we select File-> Connect to folder from the main toolbar, then click New Folder button, change the "New Folder" name to one we want and hit ok, we get an error message:
the path you entered is an invalid or non-existent directory.

Verified ArcCatalog 10.1 on XP behaves correctly and connects the new folder.

One possible workaround:  after "creating" the new folder name, cancel out of the Connect to Folder dialog, then bring it back up and you can then select the newly created folder.  Rather klunky.

Just wondering if there may be an update coming soon that corrects this "feature" or how do I add this to the list of things to fix in a future update?
Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Where are you trying to create the new folder?

I am using 10.1 and Windows 7 and it works just fine.

Make sure you are not trying to create the new folder in a connected database.

We've noticed a "feature" in ArcCatalog 10.1 on Windows 7 where if we select File-> Connect to folder from the main toolbar, then click New Folder button, change the "New Folder" name to one we want and hit ok, we get an error message:
the path you entered is an invalid or non-existent directory.

Verified ArcCatalog 10.1 on XP behaves correctly and connects the new folder.

One possible workaround:  after "creating" the new folder name, cancel out of the Connect to Folder dialog, then bring it back up and you can then select the newly created folder.  Rather klunky.

Just wondering if there may be an update coming soon that corrects this "feature" or how do I add this to the list of things to fix in a future update?
Thanks
0 Kudos
BrendaWalsh
New Contributor
Where are you trying to create the new folder?

I am using 10.1 and Windows 7 and it works just fine.

Make sure you are not trying to create the new folder in a connected database.

Wow, thank you for replying so quickly! 
I attempted to create a new folder called BWTemp on the C: drive under the ArcTutor folder.  What surprised me was that XP worked.  Windows 7 did not work for me, but it does for you. 

Do you know what specific version you're running?  We've got XP: ArcCatalog 10.1 (Build 3035) and on Win7: ArcCatalog 10.1 (Build 3143) 
I wonder if there's some setting I need to tweak/check.
0 Kudos
BrendaWalsh
New Contributor
Just loaded ArcGIS 10.2 and confirmed that we still have an issue on Win7 with creating a new folder under ArcCatalog, however it's alot better than it was.  Now at least when we select the "Make New Folder" button, it highlights the "New Folder" name ready for us to enter the new name, but when we hit the return key or OK - the "Folder:" box with the "New Folder" name isn't updated, so it tries to open the "New Folder" name instead of the new name we just entered. 

The workaround is a bit simpler too either:
1) cancel out of the dialog and restart it selecting the newly named folder and hit OK
or
2) before hitting ok with the newly named folder, clear out or delete the "New Folder" name and the popup to help you fill in the new name should now show your newly named folder.  select the new name and hit OK
0 Kudos
BrendaWalsh
New Contributor
Validation!  ESRI has opened Bug # NIM095033 - Creating new folder from the Connect to folder window in ArcCatalog does not update the newly created folder name.  This affects Win 7 ArcCatalog versions 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.  XP is not affected.
0 Kudos
JoanColon
New Contributor
Thank you very much!
0 Kudos