Arc SDE Vs Arc GIS Server geo database maintenance?

08-22-2011 01:22 AM
jagadeeshrao
New Contributor
hello everyone,

I have some queries regarding Arc SDE & Arc GIS Server.

I have installed Arc GIS Server Enterprise advanced edition 10 one system and installed Arc GIS Desktop 10 one system. If iam doing any project is it require Arc SDE geo database.

1) how we can follow Arc SDE vs Arc GIS Server
2) without Arc SDE geodatabase, can i work arcgis server directly thorugh arcmap and arc catalog
3)if iam using arcgis  server with arcgis desktop how wecan maintained GDB data security
3) how arcsde is related to the arcgis server regarding connections, publishing maps, maintain geo
database.

can any one help this.......
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
hello everyone,

I have some queries regarding Arc SDE & Arc GIS Server.

I have installed Arc GIS Server Enterprise advanced edition 10 one system and installed Arc GIS Desktop 10 one system. If iam doing any project is it require Arc SDE geo database.

1) how we can follow Arc SDE vs Arc GIS Server
2) without Arc SDE geodatabase, can i work arcgis server directly thorugh arcmap and arc catalog
3)if iam using arcgis  server with arcgis desktop how wecan maintained GDB data security
3) how arcsde is related to the arcgis server regarding connections, publishing maps, maintain geo
database.

can any one help this.......

ArcSDE and ArcGIS Server are really one in the same; ArcSDE is a component of ArcGIS Server.  When you have a geodatabase in SDE/Server, you connect to that database through ArcCatalog to use the data on the desktop.

You give permissions/privleges to the database to users just like any other database, however you assign them through ArcCatalog.

ArcSDE/Server is used like any other geodatabase source; map making, analysis, etc are all done at the desktop client.

There are like 44,000 entries for ArcSDE if you search the resource center, which I just did...
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
jagadeeshrao
New Contributor
thank you for the quick response.

But i want use Arc SDE geo database and publish some services to the arcgis server.

If i want use arcsde geodatabase what are the steps we need to follow.i think

1) we have to install arcsde server seperately : is it correct or not?( which was already installed arcgis server machine)
2) if it is not install arcsde seperately what are the steps we need to follow to maintain the arcsde geodata base

can help this questions.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You really need to sit down with the introductory documentation. ArcSDE does not publish
services, it's just a mechanism for ArcGIS clients to access spatial data and other ancillary
tables in a database.

The location of the ArcSDE install is more influenced by the volume of application server
clients (and whether you can afford to license an additional server).  If you are not yet
experienced with ArcGIS components, it's unlikely you will need any of the more exotic
deployment configurations to start.

- V
0 Kudos
jagadeeshrao
New Contributor
thank you very much for the response.
0 Kudos