ARC Desktop migration issue

Jump to solution
08-12-2017 08:20 AM
BrianKneller1
New Contributor III

I have just migrated my work to a larger PC, Apple MacPro / Bootcamp / Win 10 ARC Desktop - student licence.  My data is in two locations, external drive for images / reference data and the calculated data resident in Mydocs  ARCGIS gdb. I have copied my ARCGIS folder from my old system to my new system Mydocs and I have succeed in re assigning the external data in Contents and this is being displayed. I can also display contents from my relocated data base. What I cannot do is edit or use the spatial analysis tools on the data. I can select a polyline from Contents for editing but the editor will not  select the line on the screen, but the editor can draw a new line using the same feature. ; the 3D  analyst is greyed out and unresponsive eventhough I have elevation rasters in Contents and I can see these; I cannot split polylines ...  I have missed something really obvious..... suggestions welcome please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you check with windows explorer to ensure that the migrated folders and files are not read-only?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you check with windows explorer to ensure that the migrated folders and files are not read-only?

0 Kudos
BrianKneller1
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, I did check when I copied but I  reasserted read/write for every file and it seems to be OK now, maybe the protection was inconsistent somewhere. I can now edit but I have the issue with 3D Analyst being greyed out, There is a raster enabled in the TOC and I'm not in edit mode.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from the menu... Customize Extensions,  is 3D  toggled on?

0 Kudos
BrianKneller1
New Contributor III

Yes it is

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You will have to clarify what it is you are trying to do and what do you mean by the 3d analyst being greyed out... do you mean that little toolbar?

Rather than stumble around trying to get an existing misbehaving raster to 'work', export it to a new one in a new location... it won't be readonly

BrianKneller1
New Contributor III

Dan,  it was read protect again on the rasters -- I'm up and running now thanks for your advice

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad to hear it!

0 Kudos