Another reconcile error

03-28-2012 06:51 AM
RonaldWisner
New Contributor
Arcgis 9.3.1
SDE versioned
Oracle 11g

We are having problems reconciling from time to time.
The error we receive is:

"The version could not be reconciled. Another application is currently editing the version. [SDE.XX]"      
Where XX is the initials of the user and their version name.

I think I know what the problem is but I want to hear from the experts.
I suspect they are opening more than one arcdesktop session at a time and ending up with edits in both then closing one.
I also wonder if the edits in the closed session are still valid.
Can I not allow more than one session per user to be opened at a time?

Thanks,
Ron Wisner
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor
Ronald,

The user reconciling can be the only edit session within the version in question. The exception is if the target version is the DEFAULT�??you can reconcile against the DEFAULT even when other users are editing it.  If you do not expect other connections and edit sessions to be leading to this behavior you could have hung connections within yourrepository ( check: process_information and locks tables) yet as this only occurs from "time to time" it may simply be another session conflicting.

Reconciling a version

- Jon
0 Kudos
RonaldWisner
New Contributor
Ronald,

The user reconciling can be the only edit session within the version in question. The exception is if the target version is the DEFAULT�??you can reconcile against the DEFAULT even when other users are editing it.  If you do not expect other connections and edit sessions to be leading to this behavior you could have hung connections within yourrepository ( check: process_information and locks tables) yet as this only occurs from "time to time" it may simply be another session conflicting.

Reconciling a version

- Jon

Thanks Jon,
As I said, I think it's operator error. I'll just try to get them to pay closer attention to what their doing.

Ron
0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor
Hi Ronald,

If it is not user error where another session is requesting an exclusive object_lock on a feature where a shared lock already exists due to an edit session then it is a possibility that there exist orphaned locks or connections.  You may indeed have multiple sessions opened accessing the same data and versions, yet not when performing a reconcile.  The following KB has some good info on how locks are implemented in ArcSDE:

FAQ:  How are the various lock mechanisms implemented in ArcSDE and the geodatabase?

From this article on OBJECT_LOCKS:
When a session starts a reconcile, the shared locked is promoted to an exclusive lock, succeeding only if no other shared locks are present. Promoting the shared lock to exclusive ensures no other sessions are currently editing and no sessions can start editing while the reconcile proceeds. The lock is not released until the post operation or stop editing.

-Jon
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I've always found sdemon -o kill -t <pid> to be my friend when it comes to users who can't remember when its mainantence time...  :cool:
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KenCarrier
Occasional Contributor III
sdemon -o kill at version 9.3 will not kill direct connects so if his users are using direct connects he might be SOL!

Esri did not introduce the ability to kill direct connects until 10 I believe.

So another option would be to load the SDE 10 binary files onto a machine where he will be disconnecting people from and use the direct connect syntax for sdemon -o kill  to kill direct connects to his 9.3 database

I did this because I was running into similar issues so I loaded the sde binary files on my local machine and whenever I saw direct connect from sdemon -o info, I used direct connect syntax with sdemon -o kill and it kills both application and direct connects.

Kill direct and application connections:
sdemon -o kill -p password@instance -s servname -i sde : oracle11g -N -t all

remove the spaces between sde : oracle10g
each time I tried to post it was inserting a smiley face. sde:oracle10g
0 Kudos
RonaldWisner
New Contributor
Hello,
This is still causing me problems. I was at the user's desk when they had an Arcmap session open and collapsed; then when I asked them to fix some data they opened a new session to start editing in.

Until I can get rid of the offending user, is there a way to allow only one arcmap session at a time on a workstation?

Thanks,
Ron
0 Kudos