annotations in geodatabase

06-23-2013 02:07 AM
LizaGrits
New Contributor II
Hi,

I'm new in geodatabase and I need help. I built geodatabase with one feature class that contains only geometry and ID, and some INFO tables that contain information about the feature. The geodatabase has relationship classes, and with the help of Add Join tool I get the layer I need - feature class with all the actual information. (I see that when I use Join Field instead Add Join, the information is not being updated automatically from INFO tables).

Now, I want to create the feature-linked Annotation Feature Class, and to use data from tables in it, not only ID that is stored in feature class. How can I solve it?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WilliamMortimer
New Contributor III
Hi,

I'm new in geodatabase and I need help. I built geodatabase with one feature class that contains only geometry and ID, and some INFO tables that contain information about the feature. The geodatabase has relationship classes, and with the help of Add Join tool I get the layer I need - feature class with all the actual information. (I see that when I use Join Field instead Add Join, the information is not being updated automatically from INFO tables).

Now, I want to create the feature-linked Annotation Feature Class, and to use data from tables in it, not only ID that is stored in feature class. How can I solve it?

Hi There,
Its better to create a field of the same name from your INFO table in your  feature class layer eg Label in INFO table is 'Descript' then create a field in your Feature class called 'Descript' etc. That way you can generate your labels and then your annotation from it (ie from the FC layer not  the INFO table). Ideally your labels will come from 1 field. That way if you need to update the labels/annotation you can with a 'field calc' type function. It would be even better if you created domains in your GDB. To update them you could use a table to domain update etc. Hope this helps.

William.
0 Kudos
LizaGrits
New Contributor II
William,
Thank you very much for reply.
I have to admit I didn't understand your answer completely.
How, if I have two fields named 'Descript' one in INFO table and one in FC, the field in FC is being updated from INFO table?
I do have relationship between INFO table and FC, that is based on ID.
0 Kudos
WilliamMortimer
New Contributor III
Hi There.
ok hopefully i can make things a little clearer.
1. You have an FC. This FC has a record with ObjectID 901. It also has a name field which you want your anno to come from. Lets say in 901 it says 'main street'.
2. You have a relationship class that for record 901 - it will contain its own ObjectID - say 851. It will also have a nameID - say 1201.
This is the linking keys, often called primary and foreign keys.
3. In your anno class for record..you will have an ObjectID 1201, Name (main street) and a FeatureID 901.
Note how i have described the ObjectID, NameID ,and FeatureID.

So now you see the linkage, and how it relates to your FC. It should be easier to work out how to control and link your tables etc.
Hope the above helps in some way.

William.
0 Kudos