Alternative Methods to Generate Shaded Relief?

08-22-2011 06:19 AM
ColterSikora1
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am wondering if there is any other way to build shaded relief within ArcGIS besides using the Hilshade tool, since we do not have 3D/Spatial Analyst.  We would like to use our LIDAR data to produce the relief. Of the LIDAR data, we currently have a terrain file, and an elevation points file to work with.  I would be willing to use other software for this, but only if I can bring the final relief into ArcMap as a raster, for use in a cached map service.

Thank you all in advance!

Colter
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Hi Colter,

If you have ArcGIS 10.0 then you can use the hillshade / shaded relief from the Image Analysis window. Once you get the result you like you can export it as a raster dataset. You do not need a Spatial analysis license for that.

Robert
0 Kudos
ColterSikora1
New Contributor II
I have not been able to make the terrain file work with Image Analysis.  I also have contour lines available, but I am still not finding any tools that I have access to (I have no access to 3D or Spatial Analyst).  Any other ideas? 

Thank you!

Colter
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Hi,

Are you referring  to a geodatabase terrain dataset or is it some other terrian file? A terrain dataset cannot be used within an Image Analysis window , you need to have a raster dataset to use within your Image Analysis window.  You can get a 60 day trial version of Spatial Analyst extension. Here is the link to request for a free trial,

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/spatialanalyst/evaluate.html

-Gayu
0 Kudos
KyleShannon
New Contributor III
GDAL has a command line tool, gdaldem.  You can write a geotiff as the output. 

gdaldem hillshade in.tif out.tif
0 Kudos