Allow Connections to GDB while Rebuilding Indexes?

07-19-2019 10:20 AM
anayoung
New Contributor III

Hello,

I haven't been allowing users to connect to the database while I rebuild indexes after compressing; when I have done so in the past there are performance issues on the user's end. However, I see in the below link to a python script, that users are allowed to connect while the rebuild is happening: 

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.4/manage-data/geodatabases/using-python-scripting-to-batch-re...

I'd like to allow user's to connect since rebuilding indexes can take several hours to complete but I am leary that not only would there be performance issues but also a possibility of corruption of data. Can anyone speak to this?

Thanks,

Ana

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you rebuilding the indexes and doing the other admin tasks during non-business hours? This may remove the issue of having users wanting to connect?

Geodatabase

--- George T.
0 Kudos
anayoung
New Contributor III

We had a script that we ran every night at 7pm but we found it wasn't pushing up the data. It appears to be a script written from the geo-processing results from running the tool "Reconcile Versions". 

Every Friday I run maintenance which includes posting up from QA_Edit to Edit_Default to Default. We ask our editors to push up their own edits from their child version to QA_Edit before maintenance on Friday. However, for the better half of Fridays, the editors aren't working. So, I'm looking for a solution other than me working passed quitting time on Fridays. 

The python script link I sent seems like it would be good to put on a schedule but I'd like to only post from QA_Edit up and not include the child versions of QA_Edit.

Thanks,

Ana

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What if you did a combination of manually reconcile/post of the version on Friday and have the rest of the administration tasks: compress, analyze, rebuild indexes, etc. run during the evening?

--- George T.
anayoung
New Contributor III

Sure - that could work, as long as the script runs as expected. I'll run it by everyone and test it out.

Thanks, George.

0 Kudos