Select to view content in your preferred language

Align to Edge

08-15-2011 10:51 AM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
This little tool, is going to shred.  Very handy.  Liking what i am seeing.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Yes, very handy, doesn't like the small stuff so far, but now with new GDB capability, I can make my cluster smaller, awesome.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, one of the coolest uses for the new Align to edge, is we can take the cluster tol down to extremely low values, and be able to edit just as fast as if we had a higher tol.  This makes our data better, much better, and not lose on the productivity.  Very nice.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
I can use the align tool to remove overlap, fill gaps (A one stop shop), it is great for tight areas as long as your cluster tol is small enough.  Modify and reshape edge are more handy for larger areas, like greater than a few feet, this is where align starts to see issues.  The align tools seem to me as the go to tools going forward for a lot of editing.  I now think i get it, on why LS was so stoked at holistic.  I am currently editing at like 1:2.5, I cannot do that currently, awesome.  These two align tools totally justify moving to 10.1 for production when released, just don't break them between today and the spring 🙂
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
Glad you like it. I just posted a blog about disconnecting and moving edges (formerly, "split-move"), reshaping multiple edges, and using Align Edge.
http://betablogs.esri.com/beta/arcgis/2011/08/18/reshaping-edges/
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Since it can be time-consuming to click all the edges manually, Align  Edge is less useful when attempting to fix edges that are braided, where  some edges overlap and some edges have gaps. Braided edges are better  fixed with Align To Shape, which is another new alignment tool that I  will introduce in a future post.

So, the align to shape works with topology as well, or only with map topology, or does that matter?
0 Kudos
JohnJones
Esri Contributor
While align to shape doesn't require (or use) a topology, it does simultaneously update multiple features (and across different datasets) to align to a specified geometry so it can be used to create coincidence, which can then be maintained using the topology tools.
0 Kudos