Aerial Imagery and Map Cache

10-21-2013 08:28 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MCline19

I am working on a map cache of some aerial imagery and could use some advise as how to improve the quality of my imagery.

The speed improvement of the map cache is excellent, but I obviously did not choose the optimal Cache Tile Format, as the quality of my aerial imagery greatly decreased from the original quality.  View-able here:  http://cstx.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=f6849cecf33d4bda810d1bd81cbba48e

When I created this map cache I used "PNG8" for my Cache Tile Format.  I am working with ArcServer and Desktop version 9.3.  I have read that JPEG is best for raster imagery; however, I have also read that JPEG does not support transparency and I can not have a black background surrounding the aerial imagery.  All these things considered which Cache Tile Format would provide the best image quality without any black background pixels: PNG8, PNG24, PNG32, or JPEG?

The process takes so long to run, I would rather not learn by trial and error.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: nidhinkn

Marie,

The quality of the imagery can be improved by using PNG32. The catching might take more time. Avoid exploded format cache.

Regards,
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Is the PNG32 best for quality (high degree of colors variation) and performance when it comes to caching imageries?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine