Select to view content in your preferred language

Address Locator create, using Batch

03-03-2011 06:40 AM
DanielBirmingham
New Contributor
Can someone please help me with this error I am getting? My goal is to batch create about 50 new address locators.

I am using the Address Locator Style "US Streets with Zone" and have all the required fields in my reference data. I match all the right fields in the Field Map, and use right-click "fill" to populate the other locators with the fields.

When I push OK, it gives me this error:

ERROR 000037: Field(s) required by this style are missing.

This happens even when I try to create only one locator.
It seems to reset the field maps every time I try to run it.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Dan-  saw your reply on the general forum.  I guess I'm lucky that I only deal with one locator at a time, but interesting to know you can batch process locators. I may give a go just to see how/if it works for me.

Hopefully someone here can answer your question; there are a couple of ESRI folks lurking out there in the cloud that could probably take care of you.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I get the same (lack of) performance as you do Dan.  It doesn't seem to want to hang on to the field mapping.  As soon as I close that field, and then reopen it, they are gone...
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JoeHeggenstaller
New Contributor III
Daniel,

I'm not quite following you on what you mean by a 'batch' and 'use right-click "fill" to populate the other locators...". Are you doing that in ArcToolbox, ArcCatalog or through scripting?

I have used Python to create file based standalone address locators, but not in SDE or a File GDB. There hasn't been any issues with mapping of the fields. I currently have a problem with the 'Store Relative Path Names' checkbox that I can't set when using Python scripting, but I'll be submitting it to the forum shortly.

If you are using the same locator style and reference dataset, but need to have locators with different names you could make the various locator names into a Python list and loop through it referencing the same style and reference data. I can get you the code if you need it.
0 Kudos
DanielBirmingham
New Contributor
You can batch process different tools in ArcToolbox. I have been trying to batch process address locators so I don't have to do 50 of them, manually one at a time.

I need to create 50 different locators using 50 different reference datasets, using the same locator style/fields.
0 Kudos
JoeHeggenstaller
New Contributor III
I hadn't used the Batch command on a tool, that's interesting. Thanks.

Here's the next stupid question. I assume that your 50 reference datasets don't have the same field names, correct? If the field names were consistent you could construct a python script to loop through a list of feature classes and a corresponding list of locator names and list of field mappings and create one address locator for each feature class. I've never tried that level of parameterization for address locator creation and it may take a few tries to get the code looping correctly, but it should work. If you want me to send you a sample of code give me a yell I can construct something.

If the field mappings are different then you should probably just create a model and do your field mappings there and run the model or export it to your favorite scripting language.
0 Kudos
IanKidner1
New Contributor III
Were you able to find a solution to this?  I need to create a bunch of address locators, which all of the feature classes that will be the source data, have the same fields.  Any thoughts would be helpful.
0 Kudos