adding X-Y data from a table

01-14-2016 02:00 PM
RGCOG_Rural
New Contributor

When I add X-Y data from a spreadsheet into 10.2.2, the points do not plot correctly. I followed the steps in the knowledge base article (27589), and have tried projecting, reprojecting, using an existing layer as the coordinate system, changing from one coordinate system to another and back, and starting with a blank map - which plots the points correctly, but sends anything I add to another location. I am using NAD 83 State Plane 4203. The area where the points should plot is around 30 N, -103 W, but they plot at 3N, -105 W.

I converted the coordinates to numbers to 8 decimal places. I tried with both csv and xlsx spreadsheets. Anyone have any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

can you show one of your x and y coordinates?  I suspect that the wrong coordinate system is being used for the records versus what you need the coordinates to be in.

0 Kudos
RGCOG_Rural
New Contributor

I’ve attached part of the table, without the columns that contain identifying data.

Thanks!

Catherine

Catherine Crumpton

911 GIS Coordinator

Rio Grande Council of Governments

432-837-7199

500 W Ave H, Room 115, Box 3

Alpine TX 79830

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you have decimal degree data that was downloaded to 6 decimal places, changing it to 8 will not improve things.  So you are at 30 degrees latitude ish define it as a geographic coordinate system NAD83 ( aka

GCS NAD83

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the only things in common between the two systems you referred to...NAD83 is a datum and not a coordinate system.  I suspect your data is one coordinate system or the other, but changing to 8 decimal places means it is probably not the state plane, since it is a projected coordinate system and 8 decimal places is approximating nanometer precision.  So perhaps it is in decimal degrees, so examine the extents in the layer's properties

0 Kudos
RGCOG_Rural
New Contributor

I do use decimal degrees and I use a projected coordinate system. So perhaps I should remove some of decimal places and try again. I was following the steps in the KB article when I added them.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ps  add the data to a new empty data frame devoid of other data when you define its projection, so that things don't get muddled from other data

0 Kudos
RGCOG_Rural
New Contributor

I tried that, and when I added other layers they no longer were in the correct location. These were points in a city, and when I added the city limits polygon, it was way down west of Colombia

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

by any chance, latitude is the Y coordinate and longitude is the X coordinate,

add that data, check its extents in properties.  if the latitude and longitude look correct in the spreadsheet, then they are correct...don't assume the other data are.

0 Kudos
RGCOG_Rural
New Contributor

I am adding the x-y data to a new map. Does it make a difference whether I define the coordinates system in the Add XY Data dialogue box or not? As I understand it, the map will use the first layer added as the coordinate system, so maybe I need to add it and then use data frame properties to define it?

0 Kudos