Adding text to a layer?

06-14-2011 06:16 AM
CraigAmundson
New Contributor
Hey all! First post on here, I figured this would be the place to go.

I have ArcGIS 10.x and I was wondering is there a way to add text to a layer so that the text could be clicked on/off like a layer and be locked at a specific point? For example I understand you can add text to the layout view; but as soon as you resize or move the map the text does not move with it. Is there a way in data view to add text to a layer and have it move with with the layer as you move it? This is probably a simple answer. Thanks a lot! (If you can provide sort of step by step instructions that would be fantastic).
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkEllis
New Contributor II
Do you mean to have a text label move with a feature to its new location when editing? Simply having a text string as your label should do this. Toggle labels off or on as needed. Or are your text strings something not in the data?

Have you worked with feature-linked annotation?
0 Kudos
CraigAmundson
New Contributor
I think I figured it out. Basically when I add labels to a map on a predefined attribute table they don't show up how I would like them too even after I manipulate the "label placement properties". So what I want to do is add my own text and convert that text to a layer and have it stay at a specific point even when I toggle my zoom view or move my map document in the layout view. I just found out that I can right click the text and under the "Draw toolbar" click on "Convert Graphics to Features..." and have them fall on a new layer called "Text". I think that should solve my problem:)
0 Kudos