Adding Landsat to Mosaic Datasets

07-23-2013 09:02 AM
LisaColson
New Contributor III
I'm having trouble making a Mosaic Dataset when I specify the Raster Type as Landsat 7 ETM+, for example, and the Input as Workspace. None of the rasters get added to my Mosaic Dataset. I think this is because USGS changed the metadata. Is anyone else having this problem?

At some point late last year, USGS changed the metadata format for Landsat imagery. I believe they reprocessed the entire archive into the new format, but I'm not completely sure about this. Here's how to quickly tell:
If you downloaded a scene about 2 years ago (maybe as little as 1 year by now), the file name of the mtl file will include the calendar date. If you downloaded a scene more recently, about the end of last year, you will have an mtl file and an mtlold file. More recently, you only have one mtl file, yet again. For this 3rd style, like the second, the mtl file has the Julian date in the file name. It's a big change from the calendar date to the Julian date.

I think it broke how mosaic datasets work, but it is also possible I am having my difficulties for other reasons. I've tried in both 10.0 and 10.1. Also, I am working in a Citrix environment.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GregoryGeise
New Contributor
I'm having the same problem. Seems like the way Level 1 Products are packaged now is not the Landsat data type needed for the mosaic to be created properly. No combinations of options in the Add Rasters tool seems to add the bands correctly.

The only way I've been able to display the mosaic at all is to create Composite Band rasters then mosaicking them as raster datasets. The convenience of using the Landsat options of the mosaic tool is lost.

Have you found a better way?
0 Kudos
LisaColson
New Contributor III
No, I haven't found a better way. Periodically, like at the User's Conference, I'll ask ESRI about it but no luck thus far.
0 Kudos
AlexUrquhart
New Contributor

I've just run into this problem. Has anyone at all found a fix yet?

0 Kudos