A domain named 'Object' cannot be assigned to a field and cannot be deleted, why?

12-27-2018 02:01 PM
TT
by
New Contributor II

I created a new domain called 'Object'. I tried to assign it to a field. It did not work: it simply would not appear in the domain field of the field properties dialog after I clicked it. I then tried to delete this domain. This also did not work. I created a new domain called 'Obj' and this performed correctly. Please advise. Possibly, ArcCatalog/Map/etc should inform users automatically when they try to name a domain 'Object' that it will not work. Please advise me if it will ever be possible to delete this domain or if I will have to recreate the whole file geodatabase. Version: ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My guess is Object is one of those words you should avoid in terms of naming things.  Falls into the same category as Shape, ShapeLength, etc....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
TT
by
New Contributor II

I had a similar though. This problem, however, should not occur because Esri should design their software such that it will warn users not to use these domain names. Only a company with a monopoly would do this, or simply a poor software development company.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sorry, just couldn't help myself....

That should just about do it....
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I just tested it on a newly created File geodatabase and worked fine for me. I can create a domain named "Object", assign it to a field and later delete it too. I was using Desktop 10.4.x.

So it is not an Esri limitation or restriction..

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I also tried in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 and can add a domain called Object to a file gdb and apply the domain to a field.

When I try to delete the domain before removing it from the field first, I get this error:

Ahhh, that is a good error message.  So I'll remove it from use first, then see if I can delete it.

That worked!