Rename SQL Server Geodatabase

04-02-2021 04:02 AM
Labels (1)
MMBR
by
New Contributor II

Add the capability to rename SQL Server Geodatabases. Currently if the SQL Server Database is renamed it breaks the sde geodatabase repository because the database name is stored in many tables/rows in the sde repository tables. If the database administrator could rename the database then copies of the same geodatabase could be created in the same SQL Server Instance. This would be extremely helpful.

6 Comments
KevinRathgeber1

Sure would be nice if ESRI, in the RDBs like SQL and Oracle, would no longer store all the redundant information in sde tables and start using the system tables inside the system.  Would go a long way to managing the databases (e.g. easier renaming of fields/objects and especially a renaming a database).  I get why they did it, just would be nice to have.  So yeah please at least allow us to rename a database.

George_Thompson

@KevinRathgeber1 you can restore an Oracle DB to a SID with a different name. You cannot "update" the name of the current Oracle SID. This is a workflow I have done many times.

KevinRathgeber1

@George_Thompson sorry I should not have mentioned Oracle as I am not familiar with it.  I am mostly focused on MS SQL.  We have three environments for Develop, Staging and Production with the databases named based on their environment.  e.g. DBNAME_DEV, DBNAME_STG and DBNAME.  That is the naming methodology used across our corporation and in hindsight does not work well in an ESRI environment.  While I can restore a production db onto our staging server and change the name, it  doesn't change the fact ESRI embeds the DB Name throughout its tables and breaks the tools because of it. 

In my example even though I would have change the database name from DBNAME to DBNAME_STG all the sde objects would still be trying to reference DBNAME.  I asked ESRI about this and they indicated that even at 10.8.1 changing the name will corrupt the DB (though I see they have taken steps to remove referencing the DB Name in the stored procedures - seems like they are  working towards t his possibility).

George_Thompson

You are correct that restoring the DB and changing the name on the restore will break things for SQL Server. As you indicated, I believe that this is being looked into by the development team (not confirmed).

I would guess if this was possible that there would be a specific client version(s) that would need to be used.

Here are some other Idea that is similar:
https://community.esri.com/t5/data-management-ideas/allow-users-to-rename-their-sql-server-geodataba...

NanaDei
Status changed to: Closed

Please vote on the following duplicate idea.

MelissaJarman

FYI - The duplicate idea was implemented.