Select to view content in your preferred language

Metadata Management

03-09-2022 02:14 AM
Labels (1)
Till_Strauss
New Contributor II

There are different ways to store your metadata in ArcGIS Products: Feature Classes can have metadata which you can add via ArcGIS Pro and Portal Items can also have metadata stored in Portal for ArcGIS. In both products you can store a lot of information about your data. But often you don't publish every Feature Class in your Portal. So you can't maintain your information about your geographic data on one point. Also there are no good ways to explore your metadata in Esri Products.  For example you can't filter  things like a list with Data that should be updated this month from a user X. And there is no overview over your metadata.

An Esri product is missing to get more out of the documentation of your geodata doesn't matter where it is stored. Best would be if that tool could also show dependencies like you Feature Class X is published in service Y (or portal data item Y). 

Another possibility would be to establish an interface to other systems that are designed for metadata management, for example Microsoft Azure Data Catalog. I also published two ideas here:
ArcGIS Enterprise Portal Item Support · Community (azure.com)

ArcGIS Feature Class Support · Community (azure.com)

2 Comments
Reinaldo_Cartagena

Esri's option metadata management

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/open-vision/initiatives/open-source 

Reinaldo_Cartagena_0-1646847047872.png

open source focus

Esri development staff are encouraged to participate in the open source community. Developers regularly share open source projects through GitHub to enable developers and partners to port Esri's capabilities across the web. Esri welcomes more interactions with developers in this forum.

https://github.com/Esri/geoportal-server-catalog 

Reinaldo;

Till_Strauss

Hey @Reinaldo_Cartagena!  Thank you for that! It's not that I haven't searched like crazy for an existing solution, but I haven't found that. The geoportal server catalog is more or less exactly what we are looking for. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is reading metadata from a file geodatabase. At least I can't find that under the features. But maybe the solution for my colleagues is to move their data to an enterprise geodatabase...