ArcGIS should allow the ability to permanently reorder fields in a table

04-20-2010 01:33 PM
Labels (1)
NewingtonConnecticut
New Contributor II

After creating a feature class, it would be convenient to go back after data input, and make changes to the field ordering (position).

209 Comments
JamalNUMAN

Any update on this for Pro 2.7?

LaurenAlt

Please include a way to permanently reorder fields in a feature class. Reordering them in the project, then having to re-do it every time is time consuming and very frustrating. 

SeaRM
by

Hello, LaurenAlt. You can try to do this with XTools Pro Modify Table. If you have multiple datasets with the same field schema you can quickly reorder them using Save field schema and Load field schema options.

RandyCasey

@LaurenAlt I feel your frustration with this. What ESRI could do, is to offer to store personal table formatting in an external file like they do with Favorites or Styles. That way, every time you access a specific table, it would already be formatted like you want it. Or Esri could adopt the ability to create table views that exist outside of a Project; like let me create a view in a FGDB that references another table or table join where I could set it up to look like I want. That would be wonderful, too. Then I could save that FGDB in my Favorites and just connect to that view whenever I wanted to view/edit the data. These are possible work-a-rounds ESRI could try to look into for the users.

Presently, outside of a 3rd Party add-on, the only way to permanently change the field order is to change the table schema using either Feature Class to Feature Class or Table to Table GP Tools and changing the field order during the creation. Outside of a FGDB that you own or manage, this is not always practical or even recommended and depending on your environment and/or user rights, may not even be possible. Exploring a 3rd Party solution may be your best option, for now.

Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor

Hi all, hope all is well, currently if you have to reorder columns in ArcGIS Pro, the user has to rely on `The Export Table` or `Featureclass to Featureclass` tool which in this case will just create duplicate data with rearranged columns. So, I suggest to have a dedicated small tool for this in Pro as one no duplicate datasets will have to be created and second it will really help when creating a model.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the idea @Ed_ 

This idea seems to be a duplicate of an existing idea, linked below.  If you agree, let us know and I will merge this with it.  

Permanently Reorder Fields In a Table

Ed_

@SSWoodward thank you for the quick response, if my idea is similar to the below comment on the idea you shared then yes of course please merge it.

However, I am kinda surprised that this idea has been around for so long and yet no tool is still available for it.

Ed__0-1706640758959.png

Ed_

@SSWoodward thank you for the clarification 🙂