Select to view content in your preferred language

Add ability to store feature classes and other geodatabase objects within a simple folder structure.

03-31-2010 02:17 PM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Add a geodatabase feature that is a simple organization tool (e.g. folders) that doesn't add any functionality to the data or impose any restrictions like the feature dataset imposes.

15 Comments
by Anonymous User

Given the widespread misuse of 'feature datasets' could ESRI consider creating a new database structure equivalent to adding a subfolder in windows?

e.g.  geodatabase (right click)> New > feature class OR feature folder (bucket, compartment whatever you want to call it...) OR feature dataset OR rest of the options.   

NB - feature class top of list!

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the Idea, @Anonymous User. It looks like this Idea may be a duplicate of one posted on the Data Management Exchange. I've linked it below.  If you think it's similar, I'll merge them so your comments and kudos are added to it.

Link to Idea - Add Ability to Store Feature Classes and other ...

by Anonymous User

Hi @SSWoodward  - indeed it is! My apologies, I did look but I guess not deep enough 🙂 Great to see there is quite an appetite for it 🙂 

by Anonymous User

Whoah! that idea was 2010, and yet ESRI added create new Feature Dataset as the top choice in Catalog create new in ArcPRO? That is madness. 

SSWoodward

Thanks for the confirmation @Anonymous User ,

One option for dataset organization is the Catalog Dataset, take a look and let us know if this is something that you find useful.

Link - An Overview of Catalog Datasets