problem with the dissolve function

11-02-2017 09:06 AM
GB
by
New Contributor

Hi!

I tried to use the dissolve function but that is the output (picture). The input for a map of the world with national borders, and my intention was to create to create the same map of the world without country's boundaries. Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it is meant for Visualization purpose, you could go to symbology of the layer, and choose "No Color" for Outline.

Think Location
GB
by
New Contributor

Cannot you see that the tool created some polygons? I just wanted to have an unique entity,

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you use Dissolve or a few such Geoprocessing tools on huge datasets, they undergo tiled processing, resulting in such output.

Tiled processing of large datasets—Appendices | ArcGIS Desktop 

Dicing Godzillas (features with too many vertices) | ArcGIS Blog 

So either you Dissolve the above layer (with tile boundaries) again.

or Merge the features in the layer by selecting all the features.

Think Location
GB
by
New Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion. I attempted to dissolve again, but it was taking too much time so I gave up. I thought I might reduce the quality of the map while keeping the original state's boundaries; what is your opinion?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I won't suggest compromising with the quality of map.

Try running it using Python Script. That would be faster.

See the code sample for the python script 

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

By the way, did you try Merge (Editing), as I mentioned above. If not, give it a try. (Keep a backup of the original data before executing Merge).

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the outline of the polygons are bothering you, change the symbology of the patch to have an outline thickness of 0 (zero) in other words, no outline, just a fill color.  It might look ok

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That's what I said in my first comment. GB didn't like it.

Think Location
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ahhh missed that!  That would be the obvious solution

0 Kudos