X-Y Data disappears when added to map

Jump to solution
12-09-2014 03:08 PM
LauraMiller
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm having trouble adding X-Y data to my map.  I exported data that shows perfectly to geocode some points that ArcGIS didn't geocode; when I pull the data back in and add it to the map it does not show with the rest of my data.  Is there some parameter that I am missing?  Has anyone else had this issue?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Laura,

Would you mind sending the file in order to take a look at the points?  Thank you in advance.

Chad

0 Kudos
LauraMiller
New Contributor III

Can I post a file here?  I would have to cut it down substantially - I don't want you guys to bother with a 70,000 record file - but I will pare it down to about 20 points and post, if I can.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Yeah just post 20 records that do not show, it has the feel of a wrong coordinate system, but just wanted to check.  Where should the points be located?  Thank you.

LauraMiller
New Contributor III

North America.  The rest of the map is using GCS_North_American_1983.  I'm trying again making sure to use that, and BINGO! it worked.  Evidently the first time it matched the coordinate system of open street map and got very confused.  Thank you all for your help!

LauraMiller
New Contributor III

Thanks to all that replied - the problem was that the coordinate system was not specified correctly when adding the X-Y data.  I deleted the layer and added again, making sure to match the coordinate system of the other layers, and the data showed up perfectly.