My layers appear too far after defining projection

Jump to solution
07-30-2014 07:44 PM
ryannz
by
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I have a question. I need to do some spatial adjustment on a layer importing from Shapefile. However, because the shapefile doesn't have correct Geographic Coordinate System, I used Define projection to change it to GCS WGS 1984. But when I do that and add a basemap suddenly the layer doesn't appear on the map anymore. It just disappear. If I changed the layer back to unknown GCS, then I can see it again. How can give it right projection and still be able to see it, so I can do some spatial adjustment on it.

Please help me please. This is very important.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RiyasDeen
Occasional Contributor III

If you are able to define projection and get the points where you want, you are good to go. I would't worry about the extent coordinates, the extent displayed is in WGS 1984 Web Mercator, your base map coordinate system.

If you are going to use this layer with any other layer in a different projection system, you can use the project tool to reproject it to your target coordinate system.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RiyasDeen

What version of ArcMap are you using?

0 Kudos
ryannz
by
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I used ArcMap 10.1.

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen

Did you try adding your base map and shape file in arcmap.

Then using Define Projection tool, import the projection from your base map?

tempdelete.png

0 Kudos
ryannz
by
New Contributor

@Riyas Deen, I tried your solution and the points still appear but if you look at the coordinates, they don't look right at all.

Please check this image: http://screencast.com/t/rgMhQkQkZLZg

And this video clip: http://screencast.com/t/Gd7p73l1hI

Thanks for your patience. I am new to this.

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen

If you are able to define projection and get the points where you want, you are good to go. I would't worry about the extent coordinates, the extent displayed is in WGS 1984 Web Mercator, your base map coordinate system.

If you are going to use this layer with any other layer in a different projection system, you can use the project tool to reproject it to your target coordinate system.

0 Kudos
ryannz
by
New Contributor

I am trying to get this all in WGS 1984 rather than WGS 1984 Web Mercator. Anyways if there are no other options, I will give it a try. It's off the topic but I would like to quickly ask if you could share. How do I move each point separately rather than all points using spatial adjustment tool? I tried this, but I need to link all points > Set Adjusted Data > Adjust to be able to adjust. I want to adjust only one point, is it possible?

0 Kudos
RiyasDeen

If you want to adjust one point, then you are better off using editor. Use Editor toolbar -> Start Editing

Use Edit tool to select the point and move it to new location you want.

ryannz
by
New Contributor

Thanks. That helps.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to know the correct coordinate system before using the Define Projection...are you sure it was the correct one?  If you add the file to a new data frame and mouse around the screen what coordinates are reported in the bottom right?  Do they look like longitude and latitude?

0 Kudos