How to run raster analysis globally?

08-03-2018 04:42 AM
Labels (1)
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

I was recently asked a question with regards to conducting analysis on a global scale. Using ArcGIS Desktop 10.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.1 I want to do what I think should be straightforward enough and carry out an analysis, like calculate Euclidian Distance, on port locations across the globe.

With this analysis, I want to see the calculation results continue across the max/min line of longitude (e.g. 180 and -180 degrees) so that the whole sphere is covered. For example, the results should show spatial relationships between Auckland and Los Angeles.

I assume this analysis not running spherically is because a raster analysis works in a 2D space where the left-hand side does not relate to the right-hand side.

Is there the possibility within ESRI software to run a raster analysis where the "left" and "right" are "aware" of each other?

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am not sure even a 0-360 spatial reference would help for all locations, but you could try shifting the raster 180 degrees or something first

Shift—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

I did change the tool environmental settings to run the analysis 0 - 360 longitude but I just moved the edges to Greenwich Meridian rather than 180 in the Pacific Ocean...

The only real workaround I see is to run the analysis twice and present static images not a global map or globe with the results. But with the ability to show data on ArcGIS Earth etc I would prefer to show the raster calculations globally without the edges being present.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Simon … That seems about the only solution in the interim... think of the cup half full... thankfully you didn't have similar issues with latitude

0 Kudos