How do I match the projected coordinate system of one file to another?

Jump to solution
07-15-2019 05:35 PM
BRIANRAY
New Contributor

Hello,

I have tried quite a few means of projecting the shapefile "Tobacco" to "Chicago City Outline" but I need some help. Not certain as to how or why I've been unable to allow either shapefile's coordinate systems to align.

Also, I have been away from GIS for a bit, anyone know how I add an OID to a table or display the XY data for one? It's attached as well as "ARSON."

Thank you all,

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Brian, since you are using the Latitude and Longitude attributes to display your table as xy, you will need to specify that the projection is: Geographic Coordinate System, GCS_North_American_1983. This will drop your points within your city outline. Otherwise the default is the coordinate system of your dataframe ie: NAD_1983_StatePlane_Illinois_East..., which will put your points in the wrong location. Let me know if you need help with this or clarification.

Regards,

Jim

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Your Tobacco shapefile has an incorrect projection assigned to it. Displaying it on its own and looking at the decimal Lat/Lon coordinates returns -91.686869  36.619553 Decimal Degrees. Looking at the attribute for that point, the LOCATION field contains 41.768365835791016, -87.68830090772079 Decimal Degrees.

Your Chicago City Outline looks fine.

Posting your Arson csv X,Y based on both the X,Y state plane attributes and the Latitude, Longitude attributes drops them in the correct location.

You could save your tobacco table to a stand alone csv or dbf file, and post it based on the Latitude/Longitude attribute columns, and get this to align with your other data.

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
BRIANRAY
New Contributor

Thank you for responding Jim,

I went ahead and started with the Tobacco file, after converting its dbf to csv, I then projected the info therein based on long and lat and still did not have it align with my map.

- Brian

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Brian, since you are using the Latitude and Longitude attributes to display your table as xy, you will need to specify that the projection is: Geographic Coordinate System, GCS_North_American_1983. This will drop your points within your city outline. Otherwise the default is the coordinate system of your dataframe ie: NAD_1983_StatePlane_Illinois_East..., which will put your points in the wrong location. Let me know if you need help with this or clarification.

Regards,

Jim