Best practices for handling time-dependent datum transformations (epochs) in ArcGIS pro

10-20-2022 05:05 AM
Labels (1)
GISGeekpro
New Contributor II

Hello, 

I would like to understand how exactly time-dependent transformations work in ArcGIS Pro - in relation between the reference map and to the actual dataset in order to identify good data management/handling practices. 

Quick background info: Both WGS84 (ITRF2014) and ETRS89 (ETRF2000) are going to be used for a project, which means when transforming data between the two CRS, custom transformation parameters need to be applied as per the corresponding epoch of the data acquisition/creation. 

So I was wondering - which of the following ways is going to work (if none) and which one is the best way of doing it: 

1. Applying the Custom Transformation to the datasets themselves with the help of the Project tool, while leaving standard transformation in Map Properties (ETRS 1989 to WGS 1984) or no transformation at all if Map already set in the correct Datum. 

2. Applying standard transformation to the datasets (ETRS 1989 to WGS 1984) using the project tool and specifying the Custom Transformation in the Map Properties

3. Applying custom transformation in both the dataset and in the Map Properties.

From my current understanding the best practice is number 1, as the second will result to positioning slivers and shifts when more than one custom epoch is being used, while number 3 is like applying the custom transformation twice - which will result to errors. 

Please let me if you agree with this assumption, or if there is something I am missing, and/or you would like to add something on that. 

Thank you very much in advance and looking forward to your replies! 

Best, 

M. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Pål_Herman_Sund
Occasional Contributor II

Best practice would be your alternative 1 - agreed. 

GISGeekpro
New Contributor II

Hi @Pål_Herman_Sund

Thank you very much for your reply! 

So -in order to simplify my question- does that means when we apply a custom transformation to reproject a dataset  from one CRS to another, we do not have to apply the same custom transformation also in our map / data frame? 

Looking forward to your input! 

BR, 

M. 

0 Kudos
Pål_Herman_Sund
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @GISGeekpro. If the coordinate system in your map (PCS) match the reference system (GCS or PCS) of your data, no additional transformation should be necessary. To ensure this is respected you could make a custom project template in ArcGIS Pro.

If You mix data in your map (in your case ITRF2014 and ETRF2000) a transformation is needed in the map. Also needed if the coordinate system of your map is neither ITRF2014 or ETRF2000. 

best
pH 

GISGeekpro
New Contributor II

Creating a project template with the right presets sounds like a good idea!

I think now have a better understanding on how to work with time-dependent datasets. Thank you for that! 

Best, 

M. 

0 Kudos