Quick Notes on map projections

11-12-2019 05:35 PM
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
12 3 4,143

A long time ago when there was still printed documentation, the Understanding Map Projections book had a foldout table in the back. The table listed all the map projections and had information about various properties and characteristics. 

A picture of the ArcGIS version 8 map projections table

Bojan Šavrič Bojan Savric undertook to update and modernize the table including changing the categories and adding new projections. We hope you like the new style! It will easily fit on a 8.5"x14" or 11"x17" page if you want to print it out. Here's the 11x17 version on my office door:

A picture of the new ArcGIS map projections table

It's complete through ArcGIS Pro 2.5 and ArcGIS 10.8. We're adding 3 new projections to those releases: Adams square II, Tobler cylindrical I, and Tobler cylindrical II.

Melita

3 Comments
About the Author
I've been at Esri for over 25 years, working on map projections, coordinate reference systems and geographic/datum transformations. Although I have a master's degree in geodetic science from Ohio State University (go Bucks!), I'm not a geodesist. Last great new book that I read: Network Effect by Martha Wells