Select to view content in your preferred language

Move an unanswered question to a different community

4 weeks ago
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

There are times when I post a question to a given community but then later realize it would be better suited to a different community. Either I accidentally posted it to the wrong community, or I haven't received an answer and want to try a different community.

Rather than delete the question/create new and break any links or lose replies/subscriptions/kudos, I'd rather move the question myself. I would prefer to move the question myself instead of asking a moderator to do it.

For example, it's not always clear if a question should be posted to the Pro, Enterprise, or Data Management community. If I don't get an answer in one community, I might get an answer in a different one.

Could "move question" functionality be added?

1 Comment
JesseCloutier

Hi @Bud, I can understand why you'd want to move your own posts without having to send a request to our team. The platform Esri Community is built on doesn't currently offer the option for enabling members to move their own posts while preventing them from moving others'—it's a universal permission that means anyone with the permitted role can move any post. As such, this permission is limited to Esri team members and the Esri Community MVPs. 

If we were to enable that permission for our largest group of users (those with the Active User role), hundreds of thousands of members would be able to move each others' posts when and where they pleased. 

We don't have any plans to change those permissions in the current version of Esri Community, but with the understanding that we expect to update to the platform's next generation version towards the end of the year I'll keep this idea open so that our team can evaluate whether there are more nuanced options available and reconsider the possibility. 

In the meantime, please go ahead and send our team an email when one of your own posts should be moved (esricommunity@esri.com) or if you've produced a post that would live very appropriately in multiple areas of Esri Community. For these latter instances, we have the ability to share copies that sync comments across each other.