Post Flooding Detected?

12-08-2020 08:46 AM
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So, what is up with the following error?

Capture.PNG

I get having some form of flood protection, but more than 1 unique message in an hour!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I got that too when I tried to past a link that had "GeoNet" in the link."

"Me thinks" the spam filter might be a little tightly wound 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We do have flood controls but the error message there it is not correct to the level it's set to and it does allow a much higher amount of unique messages in a 1 hour window than just one. We'll get this update made to the error text and deployed. 

Can I ask what you were working on prior to seeing that message display? The intended experience is that the flood controls kick in for messages when:

Controls number of posts with the same subject (regardless of member) that are allowed over a specified time period. This limits are based on a 1 hour window. 

If you are experiencing something different to this then I'd like to get more details and report to our support team. Thanks

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I was editing a post because I got the warning that it didn't like some html thingy.

It underlined 3 dots, ie  . . .  (without the space).

I tried twice to fix it, then, it flagged GeoNet in a url that I tried to post.

PPS

their html editor, barks when you use

: ...  (dot, dot, dot)

or try to use  (shift - enter)  althought it isn't consistent on that in the post

So does it count "fixing posts" when it throws an html error?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager
Hi Joshua, Are you saving the same post multiple times within the hour? If so that is hitting the flood control (set to prevent spamming).

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Same situation as Dan, i.e., I went to submit a reply and it complained about some invalid HTML.  I went to preview the post with removed changes, it looked identical to what I originally had, but when I tried to post is refused.  The issue seemed tied to "Invalid HTML," although I don't know how invalid HTML is getting put into the reply when I am using the built-in editor.

This was the thread I was working in:  https://community.esri.com/t5/mapping-questions/splitting-data-in-an-attribute-table/m-p/1007709#M82...

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the information on what you're seeing. We'll report this to support for investigation. 

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I do love the ability to edit thread headings easily 😂 

And the Related tags are very funny sometimes (ps... the link below is the first in the image)

Embarrassing Flood Damage found by two MVPs- The Esri Community

2020-12-08_16-10-40.png

... sort of retired...