Idea has more kudos than views

09-26-2023 01:13 PM
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

I posted an idea just now: Hyperlink Field — Replace spaces with URL-encoded value “%20”

The idea has 7 kudos, but only 3 page views:

Bud_0-1695759011479.png

How is it possible for a post to have more kudos than views? Doesn't a user need to view an idea in order to hit the kudo button? Shouldn't the number of views be at least as high as the number of kudos? Or am I missing something?

Tags (4)
9 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The link is dead.

There has been a reported issue about random kudos appearing on posts.

@JesseCloutier an FYI, and my reported issue is still ongoing as well

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

I fixed the link.

It was strange, I got 7 kudos within 5 minutes of posting it. [Many of them were almost instant.] I don't remember ever getting so many kudos so quickly like that.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I checked, (and kudoed) and they all weren't new users, so that leaves a disconnect between those that have seen the post and the kudo count.

... sort of retired...
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have also experienced (and reported) nearly instantaneous kudos from both new and old accounts who were offline at the time.

One of those accounts was a quite active and respected member who was hadn't logged in for several days, so I can't really make an argument for malicious intent here ("Muhahaha, I kudoed your post!" - Worst villain ever)... Seems more like something in the site's backend is wonky.

Have a great day!
Johannes
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Regarding:

I have also experienced (and reported) nearly instantaneous kudos from both new and old accounts who were offline at the time.

For what it's worth, there's a setting in a user's Esri Community account that can be used to "show online status to: no one". I've had my account set up that way for several months.

So, I suppose a user could have been online, but when you looked them up, they might have appeared offline. However, I doubt many people know about or use that setting.

Further, some of those settings don't actually work -- I'm not sure if this one works or not. It's currently 8:20 a.m. Eastern time. I'm logged in to my Esri Community account. Do I appear online or offline? (show online status is still set to: no one)

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Here's where the setting is located:

My settings > Preferences > Privacy > Show online status to > No one

Bud_0-1695817469629.png

0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

That setting appears to completely remove the status, not show as off/online.

Your profile:

JohannesLindner_0-1695822822562.png

My profile:

JohannesLindner_1-1695822836805.png

Another user's status:

JohannesLindner_2-1695822899467.png

Have a great day!
Johannes
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Active ideas managers like @KoryKramer and @SSWoodward might find this interesting.

JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Hi @Bud and @DanPatterson, we have seen some limited instances of Kudos seeming to be automatically added to certain posts—though I believe this is the first time I've seen it occur on an Ideas post—and have been doing some digging into this to try and understand "why" and implement a fix. One solution we've tried appears not to have solved the issue, so we're still working on it—Dan, I promise I haven't forgotten about you and your outreach on this. Sorry for the delay in an update ... we just haven't figured this out yet. Something we do feel confident about at this point is that it's not malicious behavior, as you also indicated, @JohannesLindner. It's something that we'll keep working at. 

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content