Selecting data within a ring

Jump to solution
10-01-2013 02:46 PM
GlennEaton
New Contributor
Is it possible to select a certain area within a distance ring for detailed data? For example:

I am working on a project which has a 2.5 mile ring around it. Furthermore the site lies at the intersection of 3 very distinct populations and towns. One town contains 90% State Forest, the next town contains a very affluent population, and the third town has more of an inner-city population. I want to isolate that inner-city population to collect data on incomes without skewing it with the affluent population of the other towns. Can this be done without having to draw a polygon? or do I need to make a polygon that is bordered by the town line and the radius line

Thank you for your help
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Is it possible to select a certain area within a distance ring for detailed data? For example:

I am working on a project which has a 2.5 mile ring around it. Furthermore the site lies at the intersection of 3 very distinct populations and towns. One town contains 90% State Forest, the next town contains a very affluent population, and the third town has more of an inner-city population. I want to isolate that inner-city population to collect data on incomes without skewing it with the affluent population of the other towns. Can this be done without having to draw a polygon? or do I need to make a polygon that is bordered by the town line and the radius line

Thank you for your help

I would suggest using Color Coded Maps and using the smallest geography (block groups) on an income variable so you can see the distribution within your 2.5 mile ring.  This might give you a better visual reference to then create a hand drawn shape polygon to run reports on.

Regards,
Jason R.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for your help

I would suggest using Color Coded Maps and using the smallest geography (block groups) on an income variable so you can see the distribution within your 2.5 mile ring.  This might give you a better visual reference to then create a hand drawn shape polygon to run reports on.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos