Excel ###### error

Jump to solution
04-17-2018 11:57 AM
GarryMcKenzie
New Contributor

Hello everyone.
I have been working with Excel document for two month. Yesterday without thinking I stupidly turned off the laptop without saving the file. Now when I try to open it an error occurs, ###### error
The version of Microsoft Office is 2013.
LENOVO THINKPAD T440P LAPTOP I5 running windows 8.1.
Please help and TY for you time and attention.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StanleyCarter
New Contributor

When Excel shows ##### because the cell has a negative date or time value, make sure that you:

• Verify dates and times are positive values when you’re using the 1900 date system.
  • Use a formula to subtract dates or times correctly to avoid negative date or time value results.
  • Change negative formula results that are formatted as dates or times to a different number format.

For any issues related excel recovery contact Microsoft Support or get help HERE.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

###### error  That is the exact error message?

A quick Dr Google leads to

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-correct-a-error-bf801d0a-2a6e-44bd-a70e-0f780ae8f11e

perhaps others will appear on that vein 

TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

Like Dan I did not understand the question.... is the excel file corrupted and you cannot open it?  If that is the case,

How to recover unsaved Excel files | Excel Exposure 

Repairing a corrupted workbook - Excel 

Is the error when you are trying to open the workbook, or does the workbook open and you see "#####" in a cell or cells?  If you see "#####" in cells then simply make the column wider or row taller...if the workbook will not open or opens with an error --- in order to help we would need the error code being given like Error 1004 .....

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ted... that is an actual error message... ##### error ... nothing missing, it is bonafide error ... kind of like 'segmentation violation'

TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

You got me there, I never took #### as an error, the fix still is to widen the cell column or heighten the row -- or shorten the value by rounding or formating ... etc.    Live and Learn!

StanleyCarter
New Contributor

When Excel shows ##### because the cell has a negative date or time value, make sure that you:

• Verify dates and times are positive values when you’re using the 1900 date system.
  • Use a formula to subtract dates or times correctly to avoid negative date or time value results.
  • Change negative formula results that are formatted as dates or times to a different number format.

For any issues related excel recovery contact Microsoft Support or get help HERE.