Shortlist Builder Beta - Click tab and zoom to tabs contents

Jump to solution
01-18-2018 07:31 AM
DavidBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

I don't know if I missed something or if this is an enhancement type thing.  I would like to better navigate the shortlist's tabs.  I am using the Shortlist Builder Beta.  I would like to click a tab and have it zoom to said tab's area, as well as have the home button.  This doesn't seem possible.  I see you can add bookmarks from the underlying web map in separate button, but it is disconnected from a tab.  In my case, I would like to set up a tour of several different historic districts, and each tab is a different district.  It would be great to zoom to that district when the tab is clicked or the location from the device is in/near that district.

Did I miss a setting?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi David

This isn't supported when you configure a Shortlist. Shortlist was designed for the tabs to switch between different themes for the same area, like a city, and to let the user zoom in to a particular part of that area to explore what's in that area, using the tabs to switch between the themes. It's on our list to look into providing because it does get requested here on Geonet quite a lot.

For example with what you are requesting you could have a guide to a city where the Hiking tab shows a different extent than the Restaurants tab because the hiking trails are found over a much wider area. In the short term we at least would like to make it easier to be able to customize the Shortlist to provide this behavior via code, but ideally down the road we would let you do this as a configuration in the Builder. A related enhancement is the ability to show different supporting layers for different tabs, so your Hiking tab could display line features for the trails which would be hidden on the other tabs. We don't have releases planned yet for these enhancements.

Just as a tip you could use Story Map Series now to present a set of tabs where each tab shows a different extent and set of layers, but it wouldn't have the Shortlist tile-based user interface for the places of interest.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi David

This isn't supported when you configure a Shortlist. Shortlist was designed for the tabs to switch between different themes for the same area, like a city, and to let the user zoom in to a particular part of that area to explore what's in that area, using the tabs to switch between the themes. It's on our list to look into providing because it does get requested here on Geonet quite a lot.

For example with what you are requesting you could have a guide to a city where the Hiking tab shows a different extent than the Restaurants tab because the hiking trails are found over a much wider area. In the short term we at least would like to make it easier to be able to customize the Shortlist to provide this behavior via code, but ideally down the road we would let you do this as a configuration in the Builder. A related enhancement is the ability to show different supporting layers for different tabs, so your Hiking tab could display line features for the trails which would be hidden on the other tabs. We don't have releases planned yet for these enhancements.

Just as a tip you could use Story Map Series now to present a set of tabs where each tab shows a different extent and set of layers, but it wouldn't have the Shortlist tile-based user interface for the places of interest.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

0 Kudos