Video does not appear in Story Map Tour Side Panel Template

10-22-2018 12:18 PM
deleted-user-eeWoSWgHi6_-
New Contributor II

I have successfully added a video to a Story Map Tour using the Side Panel template.  However, I am not able to get the video to show up on the mobile version of the Map Tour.  Instead, a large version of one of the other pictures used for another point will show up.  It is usually the picture from the previous point but not always.  The title and the caption will appear for the point that should have the video but not video or link to the video.  The desktop version looks as intended with the youtube video embedded in the right panel.  

I have tried adding the point through the story map editor and by uploading a CSV with all other points.  In the CSV, I have tried adding the link in the "is_video" column and the "pic_url" column with the #isVideo url qualifier.  

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Do videos not work in the mobile version of the side panel template?  

If anyone has any suggestions on something to try out, I would really appreciate it.  The side panel template looks nice on a phone and would love to be able to use it.  

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Melanie

If the Story Map Tour is shared publicly, can you post a link to it so we can have a look?

Does the video work OK if you switch your tour to one of the other two layouts and then try it on mobile?

Can you get to the video by scrolling down through the places? Or is it just when you tap on a place on the map that the video doesn't appear?

Also how are you adding your video: can you share the URL to the video?

Note that the Side Panel layout doesn't support a video for the cover page, but apart from that videos should work in Side Panel, including in the small display view (e.g. on a phone).

Rupert

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Hi Rupert,

I have made it publicly available but it's just a proof of concept: http://arcg.is/jjrva 

I tried switching it to the three panel layout and again it works on the desktop version but not the mobile version.

You can't get to the video either way (by scrolling or by tapping the place on the map).  If you scroll down, the picture that shows up above the title an caption is one from another point. And if you tap on the location on the map, the icon gets larger on the map but the lower portion of the screen does not change where it normally will jump to the picture and title.  

I'm using the embed url from YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/embed/1qKPFEhiZqk).  I tried adding it into the CSV that was used to create the story map as its own point.  The url was pasted into the is_video column.  Then tried to do the same but added /#is_Video as someone has suggested.  Then tried adding the url with and without (two different tests) the /#is_Video to the pic column.  These all ended with slightly different results but none worked on mobile.  

And you are right that aside from the video, everything else works and the mobile version of it is really nice.  It's streamlined overall has a nice feel to it.  

Thanks for any suggestions or assistance you can provide!

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

I believe I have narrowed it down to an issue with the iframe in <div class="media"> for that tour point.  

The iframe is some how picking up the url from a previous point and using for this tour point.  Outside of the mobile layout code, there is a large chunk of code associated with the YouTube player.  There is no problem with the video coming up on the right panel when not viewing in the mobile layout.  However, this app is intended to be viewed by the public in a park using their own phones.  

Any suggestions of think to try our explore would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Melanie

Sorry about the delayed reply.

I can reproduce this issue and we are looking into this for our December update.

Rupert

New Contributor II

Rupert,

Thanks very much for looking into it and keeping me updated.  I appreciate the assistance.  

0 Kudos